Underfloor heating - quotations and pricing

K

Keyholder

I am in the process of building a house - approximate size 250 square metres. I am planning on going with a Ground-source heat pump connected to underfloor heating.

For the underfloor heating I received a number of quotations and did a bit of research of my own. The variance in prices is high.

I thought the following information might be useful to some of you:

(Note: Heat source is not included in the figures below)

Eurotech Ltd - it might be a good idea for them to review their prices. They were the most expensive by far. Over €14.5K to install the pipes and controls. I didn't get a breakdown of the cost of the individual items, but I really can't see where you'd get this figure when you add up the cost of pipes, controls, labour, etc.

Unipipe Ireland Ltd - They gave me costs for Supply Only. I called and got a breakdown of the costs - the prices they charge for the various items are not cheap. Appears that there are large markups on the individual items. Tried looking some of them up on the web but unless you have a plumber on your side it's impossible to check if you're comparing like with like. Total was almost €9K, probably add another €3K for installation. Total would be in the region of €12K.

Nutherm - quoted me for underfloor heating and geo-thermal pump. The underfloor heating section was priced at approx €9.5K (this includes the pipes terminating at the manifolds, but not the circulating pump, etc.) They seem to have a sizeable markup on some of the items - a friend in Germany called the heat pump sales team over there and got a price that was €1.3K lower than that quoted (obviously costs that much to import the system to Ireland!). Customer information was good.

QPL - quoted me for Supply Only. €6K for the materials - piping, control system, etc. Add another €3K for installation. Total would be in the region of €9K. Customer information was very good.

Henco Ireland - quote for installation of piping and controls was €9K. Customer information was very good.

Note: I have included the VAT in the prices above. For some reason most of the companies do not include this in their quotations. Maybe that's because we have a choice to pay it or not!

You could also try WarmFloor for supply and install, they are Tyrone based but will travel.

UnderfloorDirect - I purchased off these guys for a supply only. 4.5k euro for house of 2100 sq ft.

Yop,

How did you find the service from Underfloordirect? I also have a competitive quote from them for supply only, but I've sent them several mails looking for clarification on one issue in the last three weeks but they've not responded to any. I'm concerned that if this is their service level prior to winning a sale, what would it be like if I encountered problems post purchase. On a separate note, I'd be interested to know what your plumber and electrician thought of the system and the schematics provided. Thanks in advance, apple1

apple1, they were cronic slow in response to email so any communication, which was very little, I did using the phone.

Bar that the quality of what I got from them and the CAD layouts I got was excellent. And the fact I save 4k was worth the lack of email responses!!

you could buy and lay the pipes yourself-keep them six to eight inches apart and run the loops back to where your heat pump is going,this is what i did for my ground floor and it cost aroun 800euro approx,your own plumber will pick up manifold,expansion tank etc to connect all at the hp cheaper than the quotes you get from the rip-off merchants selling heat pumps

Yop, having done this yourself is there anything you'd do differently or have you any gotchas for us?

Just got quote 16K for underfloor supply and fit (3200 sq ft). I'd like to think I can do better...