Underfloor heating and wooden floors

apple

Hi we're thinking of doing some work to our upstairs bedrooms. We have carpets down at the moment and are thinking of replacing them and putting down some wooden floors also we want to put down underfloor heating as well is this a big job and what type of flooring would you recommend

What sort of heating system do you have at the moment? A waterbased UFH would need a min. floor height increase (for upstairs) of 7.5 cm for the insulation, the pipes plus the wooden floor. About 5 cm below the water pipes and then the pipes on heat deflector sheets with insulation between the pipes.
Check the "sticky" posts here on AAM.

And remember that wood is an insulator, not a conductor. I'm not convinced that underfloor heating will ever be the most efficient solution for you - it might feel nice underfoot (slightly warm), but is unlikely to be the best way to heat the rooms - which may not necessarily be a big deal if all the rooms are bedrooms but think about it anyway.

I thought about this for my renovation recently but ended up using fancoil radiators upstairs, because there would have been too much work involved in reinforcing the floors. I ruled out deflector trays after careful consideration. The alternative was to fill in between the joists with timber trays, put in insulation, lay the pipes and lay screed on top of that, which would have placed a lot of stress on the joists (old 7" ones which I had decided not to replace).

It can be a tough call. How much heat do you want upstairs?

We are looking at putting an underfloor heating mat in our upstairs bedroom, beneath our new tiles. It would be laid onto plywood board, over the joists.

I've priced a Tile-It mat plus thermostat in B&Q for half the price of the Devi system. But the mat says that it's for concrete floors - and B&Q aren't sure when the wooden floor version will be back in... But we want to install this early next week.

Would there be much difference between the concrete floor one and the wooden floor one? And is this going to be a completely inefficient application of underfloor heating, given that it's on the first floor and over wood?

Your thoughts are, as ever, much appreciated...

no idea but there is now a B&Q in Airside in Swords, so if you in a hurry, maybe give them a shout and they might have stock in for wooden floor(assuming like me you didn't realise there was one in Airside...think its a recent addition!)

I discovered the answer to my question, so I thought I'd share it here.

Underfloor mats for Concrete floors are rated at 150w/m2 - those for Wooden floors are rated at 100w/m2.

(I decided to go with Devi in the end, as the guy in the local Tile shop could come close to the B&Q price, and could answer my questions intelligently...)

Back