Under Oven Double V Single

tara83

I am retricted to have an under over i.e. one that is placed under the countertop. Having always had double ovens previously I am unsure about going for a single. There are double under ovens available but they seem to be two small ovens. I don't know if they are any good.

Have you any experience of these or do you think I would be better going for a single - the disadvantages are that I can't grill and use the oven at the same time or heat plates, keep things warm at the same time at cooking.

Any ideas?

It all depends on the amount of cooking you do; I find a double oven useful at times, especially if I need to use a grill and oven together and also its useful for keeping food or plates warm while another dish is cooking. My folks have a single oven (undercounter) and have no complaints, although the extra oven is missed at Christmas etc when a lot of cooking is done.

Have you space elsewhere for a microwave? Because if you do, there are combination ovens you can get that are also microwaves, while being similar in size to a microwave oven.

Hi tara,
I had the same dilemma. When I moved house I inherited the undercounter single oven and it nearly drove me demented. When replacing the oven I searched high and low for an undercounter double oven. As you stated most of them are very small. In the end I found a neff one (U1722 I think and I have no allegiance) which is reasonable in size. I suppose the acid test will be if it can handle the Christmas Turkey but I can now cook a roast and have a separate dish on a higher shelf for potatoes, veg etc.
I suppose the other real advantage is that the grill is also good. The grill on the single oven was very annoying. Perhaps because of the size it lost heat but it took forever to cook anything. That coupled with the big door open everytime for tripping over was annoying.
Your other option to a built in is a standalone cooker with a double oven. This will give you a big main oven.
Good luck.

Hi dangermouse

I will have a look at the neff models. I was trying to stay away from the freestanding as I think it will take away from the look of the kitchen

Just use 2 undercounter ovens side by side, if you have the space, cheaper than a double.