Under occupancy charge on family holiday!

hjrdee

Just complited this quote on panorama holidays for a family holiday.

Your holiday quote

ADULT BASIC PRICE €1320.00
CHILD BASIC PRICE €374.00
2ND CHILD PRICE €424.00
UNDER OCCUPANCY €300.00
FLIGHT SUPPLEMENT €0.00
FLIGHT SUPPLEMENT €0.00
AIRPORT TAXES & CHARGES €50.00

Your quote
€2518.00

Operator: Panorama HolidaysHotel rating: QQQQBoard type: Self Catering Room type: 1 x 1BED APTArrival: 02-Jul-2006 Departure: 09-Jul-2006

Operator: Panorama HolidaysHotel rating: QQQQBoard type: Self Catering Room type: 1 x 1BED APTArrival: 02-Jul-2006 Departure: 09-Jul-2006

So I would be getting charged €300 for under occupying 2 adults and 2 kids in a 1 bed apartment. And why one kid costs more than the other is beyond me. No ages were specified. Exactly how many people am I expected to put in a one bed apartment!

On a serious note it strikes me that I am being punished for bring kids on holiday instead of adults. Despite going to a family resort........:mad:

is this correct? Have you rang them to verify? That is crazy!! 4 people in a one bed apartment (be they adults OR children) is more than enough...

Presumably if the charges are not acceptable/reasonable to you then you will look elsewhere rather than pay them?

On a related topic, myself and a friend (both single parents) were thinking of holidaying together with our 3 young teenagers (2 boys and a girl). We're obviously confined to school holidays. Looked at mobile home holidays in northern France, as we thought this might be an affordable and enjoyable experience for all. For 12 days, the costs were....
Canvas holidays:
basic cost 1649
3 bedroom mobile supplement 550
air conditioning 72
sheets/towel hire 65
Ferries 562
A total price of 3078.
Given that, they do have bars and kids activities on site. The 3 bedroom mobile is described as 'sleeps 8'!
I thought this was expensive, maybe other people think it's reasonable?

ClubMan said:
Presumably if the charges are not acceptable/reasonable to you then you will look elsewhere rather than pay them?

My understanding of Askaboutmoney was that people posted information to obtain suggestions from others and to benefit from other peoples knowledge. In my case I felt that the price I was quoted was high and was curious of other peoples opinions, and whether they had encountered similar problems.

To this end I don't understand how your comment adds to the debate.
Obviously if I'm not happy with the price I wont pay it, but I was hoping for better responses.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted your comments.:confused:

We always seem to get hit with some underoccupancy charge no matter how many go! No matter how many, they charge you for not using the sofa(bed?) and I'm not joking either! Considering the small part of the total payment the accomodation represents compared to the flight, it is a ripoff for sure.

Gordanus,

It is the right price. We used to do those holidays in May/June and we could get 11-14 dasy for about €1500 incl ferry. Move to July and it was €3500.

So I bought a motorhome. This year I am getting 3 weeks in France in July for €1500. The motorhome will pay for itself!

hjrdee said:
My understanding of Askaboutmoney was that people posted information to obtain suggestions from others and to benefit from other peoples knowledge. In my case I felt that the price I was quoted was high and was curious of other peoples opinions, and whether they had encountered similar problems.

To this end I don't understand how your comment adds to the debate.
Your original post did not contain any specific clearly stated question that I can see so I just thought that pointing out that you have discretion in this matter (whether to transact the business or not) might be helpful (to you or others). Of course if you have a specific query that you want answers/comments on then feel free to clarify what it is.

I thought that hjrdee's posting did contain a question " was he being punished for bringing children on holidays instead of adults and should one child be charged at a higher rate than the second child?" Pointing out the makeup of the quoted price was informative to me anyhow. I am sure that hjrdee will not pay the price if he feels he is being overcharged. I don't understand the need for Clubman to point this out to him.

IsleOfMan said:
I thought that hjrdee's posting did contain a question " was he being punished for bringing children on holidays instead of adults and should one child be charged at a higher rate than the second child?"
That question wasn't/isn't obvious to me from the original post which reads like a comment rather than a query.
I don't understand the need for Clubman to point this out to him.
Fair enough. I just thought that it might be useful feedback to the original poster or others reading the thread. Those who don't find it useful are free to ignore it.

hjrdee said:
Just complited this quote on panorama holidays for a family holiday.

Your holiday quote

ADULT BASIC PRICE €1320.00
CHILD BASIC PRICE €374.00
2ND CHILD PRICE €424.00
UNDER OCCUPANCY €300.00
FLIGHT SUPPLEMENT €0.00
FLIGHT SUPPLEMENT €0.00

Your quote
€2518.00

So I would be getting charged €300 for under occupying 2 adults and 2 kids in a 1 bed apartment. And why one kid costs more than the other is beyond me. No ages were specified. Exactly how many people am I expected to put in a one bed apartment!

On a serious note it strikes me that I am being punished for bring kids on holiday instead of adults. Despite going to a family resort........:mad:

Seemingingly for some weird reason children dont count when it comes to under occupancy, but yet they count if there is fuel supplement, flight charge etc. so it would be almost cheaper to qoute the kids as adults

Back