Under 26 Rail Travel

miak

Hi,
I was told that there is a card available to those who are under 26 and it enables you to travel for less on Iarnrod Eireann. Apparantly you can get this card in Heuston Station but I can't find any info on the irish rail website! Anybody else heard of it?/Got one?

As far as I know you can get it with usit, it entitles you to other discounts as well on travel in Europe and some museums

I got one a few years ago. I think it's called a 'Fare Card' (or at least it was then). Just turn up at Heuston/Connally with a photo and some cash - I think it was about €15 a few years ago. It pays for itself in no time.

Also bring ID for proof of age.

I think it was €14 for the Faircard

Hey,

Thanks for that, I think it is the fare card I'm looking for, the one from usit is not valid on Irish Rail, i think it's more for inter-railing etc. Can I apply for it by post? I'm not living in dublin at the mo!

Not sure about that - why don't you have a look on www.irishrail.ie to see if they can help. Otherwise, just call into your nearest Iarnród Éireann station. I got mine in Galway. It's hassle to get the card but it's well worth your while!

Discount Cards

Student Travelcard

Heavily discounted travel single and return tickets issued for intercity journeys only (beyond the short hop zone). Return tickets valid for one month with no restrictions. Weekly and monthly tickets also available. Special ID card required
Faircard

Discounted travel, returns tickets valid for one month for the return portion. Available only to those under 26. Special ID required at a cost is €10.16, need proof of age and passport sized photograph to get card issued. Cards issued at all booking offices.
Weekender

For those over 26 years valid for travel outwards on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and return on or before the next Tuesday. Special ID required at a cost is €6.35, need proof of age and passport sized photograph to get card issued. Cards issued at all booking offices.

Thanks for that,

contacted the train station yesterday and they confirmed that I can get one there.

Back