Undefloor heating suppliers for a kitchen floor?

mloc

I've searched on previous underfloor heating threads but couldn't find a answer to my question. (thats for the Mods!)

We will be building a 40sq metre extension (floor area of about 17ft X 25ft) and want to install underfloor heating in it.
Can anyone recomend an underfloor heating company and or brand to do this. I've heard and read about devi mats but these seem to be only for bathrooms? I'm not sure if they are powerful enough to heat a room with the floor area size of ours.

All help is appreciated as the project is very close to going live.

Re: Undefloor heating suppliers for a kitchen floor??

Hi Mloc,

We built sunroom 3 years ago and installed UFH from the same people that do the devi heat mat but it isn't a mat it is wires/pipes and is heated by electricity.

Hi Angela,

Are you happy with the results? ie does it heat the room sufficiently, particularly during the winter when it's very cold outside?

Cheers
Colm

Hi Colm,

More than happy with the UFH that we installed - I'm only sorry I don't have UFH in rest of house. We have roof to floor glazing in sunroom - though the windows do have the argon has which keeps heat in winter and vice versa in summer. We use sunroom at weekends instead of lighting fire in sittingroom - the only negative is response time but that is the same with all UFH systems it takes a couple of hours to build up heat and then if the weather gets mild outside it can be very warm and you turn down heat - takes couple of hours to adjust - say I put heat on a timer in sunroom i generally put it on thursday evening and by friday morning the heat in the room as built up and when the heating goes off in the evening time the room stays warm for a couple of ours after. We have hours timed to come on a certain times i.e. afternoon and evening. Never find a problem with being cold with UFH as there is a dial you can adjust. It is a lovely ambient heatl. Our sunroom is 18ft in length x 14 ft in width and has a high valuted ceiling.

Last edited:

Hi Angela,

That is very interesting. Our new extension will be 25 x 17 with a vaulted ceiling so the sizes are close enough.
Can you recall the name of the heating system? Also, what kind of floor did you put on it?

Thanks
Colm

Hi Colm,

Devi installed the system and the name on the timer says devireg 550. We put kingspan high density insulation then a scree and then looped the wires around the floor. The guys from DEVI installed the system - our builders did the insulation etc. We have italian travertine tiles which are stone and they radiate the heat perfectly. The only thing I would be concerned on is the economy if your using it in the kitchen you will probably have it on every day. We only use sunroom at weekends the price of electricity has come down - you could ask DEVI about this.

The product angela59 has in her conservatory is called Deviflex.
The Deviflex is laid onto at least 50mm Kingspan TF70 or equivalent.
Then a 35mm anhydrate screed, or 50mm sand & cement screed is poured over it.
You could also put 100mm screed over it if you wanted an off-peak storage system.
The pro's for the Deviflex system as oppose to the Devimats system are.

· Flexible heat output - 100w/m2 - 234w/m2
· Lower capitol cost - aprox 50% cheaper than Devimats.

The actual running cost is hard to calculate as there are many variables involved but if you had a 10m2 room with a heatloss of 50w/m2 I would anticipate a running cost of aprox €100 per year (based on a 8 hour timed period, 7 days a week, over a 28 week heating season).

Hi

I'd be intersted in going the underfloor heating route (if my rubber floors idea doesn't prove a runner - see other post)

Would be the whole kitchen/dining area and sunroom. - would be for around 60sq mt

Can you advise rough costs to purchase/install?

thanks

60m2 is a pretty big kitchen so bear with me on the costs but as rough estimate.

Materials:
Devimats - €3000 + vat
Deviflex - €1700 + vat

Installation:
Devimats - €750 + vat
Deviflex - €750 + vat

The prices seem dear but in fairness there are apartments out there that are less than 60m2. If you drop into Devi and ask them to show you how to install there products. Very easy and will save you €900.

I recommend using more insulation - at least 100mm beneath and use min 25mm around vertical edge of slab or screed also

I recommend using more insulation - at least 100mm beneath and use min 25mm around vertical edge of slab or screed also
Of course the more the better. Thats why I said at least 50mm.