Uncooperative Beneficiary of Irish will

Muddled

One of several beneficiaries of a will is refusing to sign paperwork (for the taxman, I think; looking for PPSN) or even speak with the solicitor. All the other other beneficiaries have completed, signed and returned the form. The beneficiaries are children and grandchildren of the deceased. What happens in this scenario?

I think all you really need is the pps number. My BIL refused to supply the executor of his mother’s estate with his pps number as he “was grieving too much”. Luckily the executor found it in some paperwork in the mother’s house, so no one has to wait for the grief to lessen.

What the solicitor will probably do is distribute the estate to all the beneficiaries and hold the last persons in the client account until he decides to provide the detail needed. Hopefully the solicitor will apply an annual fee to do this and eventually it may run down to zero. (I am assuming that the assets are converted to cash in this case and the beneficiary was not left half a house, or something similar).

I'm in the exact same position and I had previously decided to do probate myself but quickly changed my mind when one beneficiary made life hell so I got a solicitor.. My understanding is that if the amount is less than 12k then the SA2 probate form doesn't require a PPS at that stage to proceed and only at the end once probate granted and before it's paid out is the PPS necessary.

If over 12k one beneficiary only per application is allowed to not have the PPS number and probate can proceed with the guarantee that the solicitor will get the details including any previous lifetime inheritance information of the beneficiary in question.

I stand corrected on any of this as we're trying to get things moving and other beneficiaries can sue I believe the delaying beneficiary.

I think all you really need is the pps number. My BIL refused to supply the executor of his mother’s estate with his pps number as he “was grieving too much”. Luckily the executor found it in some paperwork in the mother’s house, so no one has to wait for the grief to lessen.

What the solicitor will probably do is distribute the estate to all the beneficiaries and hold the last persons in the client account until he decides to provide the detail needed. Hopefully the solicitor will apply an annual fee to do this and eventually it may run down to zero. (I am assuming that the assets are converted to cash in this case and the beneficiary was not left half a house, or something similar).
As of today we were informed that the uncooperative one would need to sign the form as well as provide PPSN.

As of today we were informed that the uncooperative one would need to sign the form as well as provide PPSN.
Was that by the solicitor ?

The SA2 says Where a PPSN is not available for a beneficiary of the estate, the Form SA.2 contains a facility to allow an applicant to give an undertaking that they will not distribute any property passing under the estate to that beneficiary until the PPSN is provided to the Revenue Commissioners on an amended Form SA.2 return. This facility is to assist our customers proceed with the application for a Grant of Representation.Please note that an undertaking can only be given for one beneficiary per application. To avail of this facility please tick the box to indicate that a PPSN is not available and follow the on-screen instructions.

Could you ask the troublesome person to disclaim their inheritance, in other words, if he is frightened of the taxman, don't accept the inheritance. ?

I have one beneficiary refusing to speak to us. Luckily I have the PPSN number from last time I was executor. One Fair Deal, care home asked me to authorise payment from the deceased 'private hse' account, which I did, but then because one of the beneficiary's had been thick over the Fair deal application initially the care home/hse people came back to me to get an email authorisation from everybody. So frig that I said to myself, and wrote back politely and said I'd wait for the Grant. Which is held up due to a will in another solicitors office who doesn't want to hand it over without payment. (2 estates, one contingent on the other)

Could you ask the troublesome person to disclaim their inheritance, in other words, if he is frightened of the taxman, don't accept the inheritance. ?
Troublesome person has gone no contact, unfortunately. Hangs up when solicitor phones, etc.

Troublesome person has gone no contact, unfortunately. Hangs up when solicitor phones, etc.
Put it in writing on a solicitor letter, failing that, someone may have to knock on his door. Failing that, there may need to be a family "intervention" . It's also quite possible he/she are in an unnecessary panic.

Assuming this person has no additional needs & in the full of their health, I wouldn't waste any more time. If either of those conditions apply, then naturally your approach will be different.

My guess is they are not 100% in good standing with Revenue.

Proceed without them, as has already been outlined.

When probate is granted, give everyone else their share & leave this one in the bank. They can have it when they decide to co-operate.

Assuming this person has no additional needs & in the full of their health, I wouldn't waste any more time. If either of those conditions apply, then naturally your approach will be different.

My guess is they are not 100% in good standing with Revenue.

Proceed without them, as has already been outlined.

When probate is granted, give everyone else their share & leave this one in the bank. They can have it when they decide to co-operate.
The solicitor has said it will have to go to probate.

Back