unable to access internet

dave28

A friend has recently encountered a problem accessing the internet. Its a dial-up connection using Windows XP. On clicking the Internet Explorer Icon on the Desktop, it opens the Options dialogue box (the one with all the tabs, "General "Security""advanced", etc. )
The same happens if you click on the Start menu - Internet Explorer.

The phone line is ok, the 1890 number is still appearing in the properties.

It's just to figure out how to set the thing so that clicking on Explorer icon on Desktop or "Start / Internet Explorer" will actually open the homepage !

Hopefully its something simple - neither of us are PC Techies !!

You have not really explained the problem, background (e.g. what, if anything, changed recently on the PC) or its symptoms (e.g. verbatim error/warning messages) in sufficient detail for people to make any meaningful suggestions.

ok - sorry for not being clearer . Normally when you click on the Internet Explorer Shortcut Icon on Desktop the PC goes through the motions - starts dialling out etc & eventually opens the internet on the homepage. This could also be achieved by clicking Start Menu & selecting Internet Explorer.

Something has happened to cause this sequence not to occur - ie click on the shortcut , it opens the "Options" - all we can do from there is change various options, we cant continue to the internet. All "options" are as they were (for the last 2 years ! ie the 1890 no. is there permanently and password is saved)

I hope this might be clearer but this is exactly as things are

Use a new browser to connect.

I recommend Opera

http://www.opera.com/download

or Firefox

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

They are both free and an improvement on IE.

or try accessing the internet through Windows Explorer instead of Internet Explorer
by making your way to the run button through the menu as follows:

start >> Run Button

then type in explorer.exe

And use explorer to surf the net by typing in the address you want to use there.

There is a programme call winsock repair which may help it is sometimes listed on the cover discs of may computer magazines you could try out their web sites but you may have to register before you say it I know you can`t access the web but you could ask a friend if you could use their connection idealy one with broadband also you could try to resetup the connection yourself if you have the dial up number and your password plus your user name this is done by entering the net working and dial up connections (under settings in the start menu) and selecting make new connection choose to set up the connection manualy and follow the prompts if you don`t have the mailserver for your email don`t try to set this up eircom is mail1@eircom.net for both in and out

A couple of things
1/ Can you manually dial the internet
Do START--> SETTINGS---NETWORK CONNECTION
The modem connection should be there and if you right click you should get the option to connect. Some modems you can hear it dialling or if you pick up the phone you should hear the modem chatter.

2/ If that works then if you goto the Connections TAB of Internet explorer and check the setting to Always dial my default connection is enabled. And that the correct connection is the default.

ok guys, here's the latest - we've discovered that in Microsoft Works (which is NEVER used on the PC - he doesnt have MS Office either) there is an option in Programs to connect to the internet and another to connect to e-mail. This actually works perfectly for both !
WE still might try the suggestions above but my friend is quite happy with the MS Works option & as I said , we are not techie people !
Still not sure what caused the problem initially but thanks to all for your help.
Dave

Back