Ulster Bank's Internet Banking

A

Arrowmania

This subject title should really read- "Ulster Bank's Internet Banking- Back to the stone age!!"

I switched to my current account from AIB to Ulster Bank when I took out a mortgage with them.
However despite having been assured that their internet banking service (which I would use a lot!) was top-notch and user friendly, I now find that it is not set up to cope with many of my desired tranasactions.

I can't pay my AIB VISA or AMEX credit card bills since I can't set these up as beneficiary accounts on the system. This was no problem on AIB's online banking, which was a true user-friendly system.

Now I always thought that the whole point of internet banking was to allow the customer the flexibility to manage their transactions without the need to queue in a branch or wait on hold over the telephone.

I have contacted UB via their suggestion box system and also over the phone to complain about this but have got the stock response - 'we know there is a problem but we're not sure when it will be sorted'.

I'm sure there are many other new (and existing) UB customers who are having the same problems. I presume VISA accounts from other banks as well as other account types are also affected.

If you are affected by this, then please contact Ulster Bank (via their suggestion box on the online 'Anytime Banking' site or via their telephone banking service) and let them know that this type of online service needs to be provided as soon as possible.

Maybe by an increasing number of people shouting will anything be done!!

other banks

I only registered for UB internet banking recently. I haven't asked if I could pay my visa (issued by different bank) via the service but I was able to register a BOI account as a beneficiary without any problem. Perhaps the problem only applies to credit cards? If you had an AIB credit card there would have been no problem using their internet service to pay money onto it. But could you pay money from the AIB website onto credit cards issued by other banks?

Re: other banks

Janet,

I haven't yet tried setting up other bank accounts on the system - although I do intend setting up a credit union account (the CU bank with Bank of Ireland) as a beneficiary.

I could make payments into my AMEX credit card account from AIB's online service. AMEX is administered by BOI.

Also- do you have any problems when signing out of the Ulster Bank online service??
My internet browser hangs when I sign out and then crashes when I try to shut it down.

Oh the joys of it...

Re: other banks

Sorry to hear about the troubles, I too use UB Anytime and although my Visa card (which is with UB) is paid by direct debit I had reason recently to use the online facility to pay my Visa card, and there was no problem. I have , in the past , complained that I cannot view my Visa balance on the internet, but they assure me its being addressed............yawn

credit card beneficiary

I can't pay my AIB VISA or AMEX credit card bills since I can't set these up as beneficiary accounts on the system.
Forget UB customer service and what they tell you is/isn't possible for a moment; there seem to be several threads on this site that suggest they're not always v. well trained or familiar with their own procedures. Have you rung AIB and asked them for the sort code and holding account number for making electronic transfers into your Visa a/c? These are likely to be different from the numbers on your Visa statement designed for paper-based lodgements. (You'll obviously also need to include your own Visa a/c number as the payee reference name.)

It seems that BoI visa use different sort codes to track the route by which money is paid into the visa account. So the number for paper transactions doesn't work for electronic transfers. I'd say AIB visa probably have a similar system.

I have a NIB current a/c and when I first tried to set up my BoI visa a/c as a beneficiary I used the sort code and visa holding account number on the pre-printed lodgement slip (plus my visa a/c number as ref). They didn't work; apparently that particular BoI holding account is not designed to accept electronic transactions. BoI's visa dept then gave me another code to use instead. I think it's probably still the wrong one because it appears on my Visa statement as payment by 'BoI standing order' even though the money has come by once-off electronic transfer from my NIB current a/c. [I'd say they have different codes again to designate payment by BoI once-off electronic transfer and external (3rd party) electronic transfer.] But the money moves ok with the code I've got, so I'm not complaining.

Re: UB Internet Banking. No Macs Allowed.

They don't support the Apple Mac either. I originally signed up for UB anytime backing in 1996 and I don't think they've changed or improved it much since.

Ulster Bank Anytime

I have the same problem, have had an UB account for 4 years and have been told "they are working on it" for the last 4 years when I've asked when I will be able to pay my BOI Credit card bill online, each month I have to send a cheque.

Another gripe I have with UB anytime is the security file you need to bring with you so that you can access your account online from any PC - this is the *.der security certificate file that gets installed to your C:\ Winnt\java (in my case) folder. In order to access your account from your home PC or (as I found out!) from an internet cafe in Australia or anywhere else in the world, you have to have copied this file on to a floppy and then you have to copy it into the same folder on a PC in an internet cafe or wherever you are trying to access your account - otherwise you can NOT log on. Generally internet places will not let you copy anything from a floppy to their machines. I understand this is for security reasons are all banks the same....doesn't this defeat the purpose of being able to do do your banking online from anywhere?

Re: Ulster Bank Anytime

The way round I found for this is to call them and ask them for a new shared secret, then re-register on the machine you want to use, an absolute nightmare, but only had to do it twice

UB anytime

Thanks, I had to do that few times but it's not very easy to do when you are on the other side of the world.

Back