Ulster Bank to introduce overdraft fees from September

pudds

Ulster Bank is to introduce fees on some personal current accounts with overdraft facilities.

From 16 September affected customers and will incur a €25 overdraft set-up fee and a €25 annual overdraft fee.

The fees will apply to new arranged overdrafts, increases in overdraft limits and accounts that already have overdraft facilities.
Ulster Bank said it could not provide the numbers of customers affected as that is "commercially sensitive".

The fees will not apply to youth, student or graduate accounts or "packaged" account holders.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0716/462705-ulster-bank-fees/

Not sure if I'll be affected by this, they say 'on some' personal current accounts .

Will over 60's be exempt from this charge.
If not can they get the over draught facility cancelled.

I've written my letter to Ulster already to cancel my o/draft, it was there for occasional use anyway so will not be missed, from experience many personal customers have small limits that they are completely unaware of and they should check their position, I've never had a facility letter sent to me and was only aware I had one when they told me...

I called to my Ulster bank branch yesterday to be told that "all their systems are down". I couldn't process any transactions. I am still expected to pay their fees though.

Closed all accounts with UB today,after 22 odd years with them.The standard of service in the last year or so is bordering on what you would expect from a third world bank.

The final straw for me was needing to speak to a "mortgage advisor" about an urgent matter relating to an ongoing application,typically had to deal with "Branch support" based in Derry who took my name and mobile and promised to get the individual to return my call,really frustrating at the best of times.

2 days later got a call from a guy asking if I was Gerry Mc*** no but I am John Mc**,he then went onto say there was no one in the Blackrock branch of the individual I was looking for,I explained the individual worked in Blanchardstown branch.

No problem I will get them to call you he promised.

A day later I get an email off this individual who asked me what I wanted,I replied with my query and had to prompt her twice for a reply.

If you think Im paying for that folks you need you're head examining.

I've written my letter to Ulster already to cancel my o/draft, it was there for occasional use anyway so will not be missed, from experience many personal customers have small limits that they are completely unaware of and they should check their position, I've never had a facility letter sent to me and was only aware I had one when they told me...

Did you do this by email or paper, and did you get any reply/confirmation

I only realised this now - checked my statement and see an annual charge of €25 for an overdraft facility. In my time with UB, I have NEVER gone into minus and therefore, never utilised this overdraft facility. Furthermore, from the outset - I never sought an overdraft facility to be applied to my current account.

Is it possible to have this charge refunded and the overdraft facility removed? If not, my time with UB is through. It's either PTSB or KBC...probably the former as regrettably, KBC have resisted offering fee free banking.

If you have never requested an overdraft facility then I would think that you are entitled to a refund. Contact Ulster Bank.

€25 for just having an OD facility. What a joke of a charge. My German bank gives me an OD up to 3 times my net salary and charges (currently) 7.9% interest on the facility (which I've never used but it's cheap enough, easy to access credit if I ever need it) and they charge me nothing, and nothing for anything else either.

European competition can't come soon enough to these robbing Irish banks.

I've lodged a complaint - and as part of that, I've asked for the 25 quid to be reimbursed. Will post back with the outcome.

€25 refunded! I'd urge others to check their statements. It's only €25 quid but it's YOUR €25 quid!

Back