Ulster Bank - Requesting information by subterfuge

Candy Crush

Hi. I hold two bank accounts with Ulster Bank. My main current account, and a savings account. Early in the summer I received a letter from UB asking me to present myself at my local branch with personal ID and a household utility bill, as they were updating their records. Within 2 days I did so. About 2 months later, I got a similar letter, which I discarded, as I thought it was a clerical error and that a duplicate had been issued. A third such letter arrived early this week, so I phoned the number on the letter (a 0044 number). I told the girl that I had already presented my ID material, and she said, Oh yes, we know. But we need some further details from you - do you have about 20 to 30 minutes to go through these questions with me? As I was at work, I said no, so the girl offered to email me the questions, which she did.
The questions began with 'What is your current occupation' and 'what is your employers name?'. Now, my fortnightly salary from a Government Department gets paid into my bank account every second Thursday without fail, and my statement clearly indicates the name of the Government Department I work for.
The questions continued:- Do I receive bonus payments, if so, how much and how often. On what date did my employment begin, what was my previous occupation, what was my salary there, how long was I in that employment? I answered these questions as accurately as I could. Then there was a section asking if I was self employed and a series of questions which were all not applicable to me.
Then they asked about other income, such as pension or rental income which again was not applicable.
The next question aske if I currently rent or own the property I reside it. (It is mortgaged with.... guess who? Ulster Bank).
Then they asked me if I hold accounts with other financial institutions, the name of these institutions, and the approximate balances in each account.
Finally they selected a number of transactions from both of my accounts (deposits). They stated 'As part of the term (sic) and conditions on your account Ulster Bank have an obligation to understand the nature of your transaction on the account. Please fill out what the below is in relation to:-....... and they listed deposits ranging from €2.02 to €4,140 into both accounts, naming the persons who made the deposit, or the person who signed the cheque.

While I have no problem divulging this information, I am concerned at the manner in which it was requested.... it was almost like subterfuge. It seemed that UB would continue sending me letters asking me to present my ID at the bank until such time as I phoned them. Why did they just not write/email me, requesting the information?
With regard to the question about accounts in other financial institutions...... Are UB entitled to seek such information? Why do they need it?

I am uncomfortable with the questions and the way they were asked.

Do I have cause for concern?

Thanks in advance

Was it definitely UB? Not a con?

I closed out my accounts with UB back in, 2013 was it, when they had all those technical issue where they prioritised UK customers over non-UK customers.
I can only see a deal or no-deal Brexit making this much worse.

Bad as the Irish banks are, I’d prefer my money with a domestic bank than a Brexit bank.

The last time I had to verify my ID with a bank, during the summer, they asked for a photo of the front of my drivers licence and a selfie of me holding up my drivers licence, and with the text legible.
Easier said than done!

Was it definitely UB? Not a con?

I closed out my accounts with UB back in, 2013 was it, when they had all those technical issue where they prioritised UK customers over non-UK customers.
I can only see a deal or no-deal Brexit making this much worse.

Bad as the Irish banks are, I’d prefer my money with a domestic bank than a Brexit bank.
I wondered if it was a con too, but they weren't looking for any passwords etc, and they had an intimate knowledge of my banking transactions. The more I think about it, the madder I am becoming.
Does a financial institution have the right to ask you if you have any other accounts with other financial institutions?

Does a financial institution have the right to ask you if you have any other accounts with other financial institutions?

None of their business. And you don't have to tell them. I'm quite surprised you did. Looks to me they are profiling you in order to sell you products.

I'm with Ulster too. The 0044 is because most of the phone help is on the UK numbers. Often in Northern Ireland.

Bet anything you will be sent sales material about loans/credit cards/invesments. The oddest questions I found were this:

'As part of the term (sic) and conditions on your account Ulster Bank have an obligation to understand the nature of your transaction on the account. Please fill out what the below is in relation to:-....... and they listed deposits ranging from €2.02 to €4,140 into both accounts, naming the persons who made the deposit, or the person who signed the cheque.

That's implying you have to answer, by quoting 'terms and conditions'. Now I don't mind helping, especially if it's to avoid fraud but I'd want to know why they want to know such details.

You would think so, but financial institutions exchange such information anyway, especially when lending.
While I agree they're entitled to ask you about your borrowings in order to borrow from them, when you're just a regular customer not looking for anything there is no reason for them to ask the OP all those questions. What's absolutely amazing is that the staff have time to do all that and if you go into a branch nowadays you're treated as a hinderence.

If I got a letter from a bank looking for information like that, it would go into the bin and be ignored.

They clearly have no right to know if you hold accounts with other banks. This seems like an attempt to obtain information for marketing purposes under the pretext of meeting legal requirements. Hard to understand why the regulator lets banks get away with this.

I would reply by email and against each question I would type: Decline to answer.

If they persist especially regarding the transactions, I would threaten to complain to the Regulatory Authority. If the request regarding transactions is not a bona fide Anti Money Laundering measure, they may be misusing your personal data and could be reported to the Data Protection Commission.

Laundering money?? I can barely afford the occasional bottle of Persil for my smalls!!!!
I phoned that 0044 number again this afternoon & robustly requested a reason why they were seeking this information. The girl was unable to answer me, other than to say that under 'new legislation' UB were entitled to know all about their customers financial affairs. I requested details of the legislation to which she was referring, but she was silent. Many thanks for your input guys.... It's good to know I'm not being paranoid. Keep up with the observations/advice. Thanks again. CC

Well done you CC. I asked Irish water fur the legislation too one time when they tried it on with me that as a landlord I was liable fir the tenants water bill because I was the owner.

You follow that conversation up with a written request via email for the legislation, for what data they are collecting on you, quoting GRDP, and see how you get on. When I get a blank clueless on the phone I ask to speak to the supervisor.

I throw the request from Ulster about me confirming I’m abroad in the bin. They send that to me abroad.

(Try ownbrand washing liquid for clothes, it’s much cheaper and I use half the recommended dose)

Laundering money?? I can barely afford the occasional bottle of Persil for my smalls!!!!
I phoned that 0044 number again this afternoon & robustly requested a reason why they were seeking this information. The girl was unable to answer me, other than to say that, under legislationUB were entitled to know all about their customers financial affairs. I requested

Hi Candy crush. I'd call into your local Garda station and have a chat with them. Scammers could have got hold of your bank details.

There is new legislation alright. I’ve received a letter from Permanent TSB regarding US citizenship. If I didn’t reply to the letter they were going to close my account within 30 days.

I phoned that 0044 number again this afternoon & robustly requested a reason why they were seeking this information. The girl was unable to answer me, other than to say that, under legislationUB were entitled to know all about their customers financial affairs. I requested

No conceiveable legislation in a democracy could ever entitle banks to "know all about their customers' financial affairs" as this girl was claiming. So either she is completely out of her depth or something fishy is going on.

Back