Ulster Bank closing branches

I heard this before Christmas from one of their Branch Managers, to be fair the on the ground retail staff havn't got a clue what is going on but based on what I heard this is actually on the low side of what is expected.

It is fair to question their long term view of this market as they are sure to be asking if it is at all viable, as a unit of RBS Ulster Bank holds the title of the most loss making of all their arms and still requires support, I know the Chief Execs name but is it widely known..?, I never hear of him in the newspapers or see him mentioned at this business bash or other, maybe he's here to do a job....As a life long Ulster customer I really hope not.

Don't forget 1000 jobs were axed at Ulster in 2009, several more towards Q4 2012 and another 500 or so planned to have left by the end of Q2 2013..

You have to compare this with jobs axed at the State supported AIB and BOI during the same period......barely any, not talking about attrition here , jobs axed by voluntary redundancy and AIB / BOI are 4 or 5 times larger by network, market cap, presence, staff numbers etc, the Irish taxpayer is holding up their staff wages / pension contributions / bonus pots etc for the past 3 years and not a word about it...If Ulster had to reduce headcount from 2009 at such a level is it not reasonable to have expected the larger competitors to have to do likewise since then to maintain competitiveness or to survive....not if the taxpayer is paying the piper it seems.

Not so long ago, Ulster Bank closed all their First Active branches. So this will be a second round of branch closures for Ulster as banking moves more and more online.

Agreed that this was at the lower end of expectations. According to multiple reports, RBS were considering an exit from Ireland. For the moment, at least, they have clearly chosen to scale back their operation here.

The branches to be closed [broken link removed].

22 branches in total.

According to an annual SNL Financial report, more bank branches closed than opened in 2012. The research company started the report in 2005. Last year saw the greatest number of closures in the report's history.

According to an annual SNL Financial report, more bank branches closed than opened in 2012. The research company started the report in 2005.

This is an Irish Website. The report mentioned appears to have originated in the US and refers to maters outside this jurisdiction.