UK Write Off - Selling Options

JRD

Hi

I bought second hand car from a dealer 3 years ago - it was NCT'd etc and have had no major issues with it since. I am trying to trade it in now and one of the dealers I approached did a history check and has told me that my car is a Category D UK-Write Off, that it's a danger on the road and could only be used for spare parts. They offered me €1k. I had a look on the web re cat-D write offs and it looks like it's not as bad that dealer claims i.e. could have been damaged but can be repaired and put back on the road legally which it has been - but I'm thinking the history will obviously affect the price that I will get for it.

Would anyone be able to tell me what sort of drop I should expect in what I would get for it? Or would any dealer even take it off me for a reasonable figure at all? Any advice would be appreciated.

JRD

What's the car make/model/year? Also, is there any evidence of the repairs that were carried out? Mechanical/bodywork/etc?

Cat D write off does not automatically mean dangerous. I had a car Cat D'd because someone reversed into the drivers door denting the panel. The insurance company will only repair with new parts and the cost of replacing the door meant they wrote it off. I settled with them and replaced the door with one from a scrap yard.

Thanks PetrolHead but I got someone over the weekend who will take it off me as is. Happy now :)

Back