UK website won't deliver perfume: they say it won't be approved by customsl

sam h

I was given a gift of some cash to buy some perfume.

Decided to order via a UK online chemist as I wanted a few other things also.

I had finished my basket & went to check-out to be told they can't proceed with the perfume part of the order (Over €100 out of a €175 order).

I emailed them to query it & I was told
"Unfortunatly we cannot deliver perfume to Ireland as it won't be approved by customs as it contains liquids."

There were other liquids within the order (of larger volume) which they didn't mention as being an issue - does anyone know if customs would really disallow this ?? I have order perfume from them before (over a year ago)....has there been a change in the law?

Ahhh, never thought of that!!!

I have ordered from them before & all was legit. But the other perfume I bought was a cheaper/discounted one (a bottle to stick in the car....I ain't leaving a bottle of Chanel sitting in the car!!

What bugs me is that I have recommended this site before, but I have had an issue each & every time I have ordered from them. Back to bricks & mortar for me I reckon!!

I gave up buying online cosmetics from abroad after the postman handed me a bill for the VAT before I could receive the parcel. When you factor in the VAT (which we should pay I know) then the online bargains aren't so much of a bargain.

Here's some information from An Post regarding posting liquids:

Never send liquids outside of the Republic of Ireland using any of our services. We cannot accept liquids due to IATA regulations. Other restrictions for both national and international services include explosives, corrosives and irritants. Many international destinations have additional restrictions on items they will accept by post.

And from Royal Mail, UK

Any Perfumes or Aftershaves that are non-flammable and have an alcohol content of less than 70%vol are permitted. Those that are flammable are prohibited.

I picked up a bottle of duty free Cognac on the way to LA from Ireland. I went to post it as a gift to an elderly relative in Boston who I knew would appreciate it and the American Post Office told me they would not accept it or any alcohol in a parcel under any circumstances. In the end I sent it via courier service such as DHL or one of those companies. The private company never asked me what was inside and I never told them. I didn't see the point of telling them as my cognac is not a danger to anyone who drinks in moderation;) . I had it well wrapped as my chief worry was the thing breaking and being spoiled. I guess some people send liquids for shady reasons that us regular citizens/mere mortals might never consider but it could just be rampant paranoia. I did manage to get my cognac to its destination though in the end. It cost a lot more and was more hassle but I found a way.

Back