UK TV's and Computers

Jason_77

Hi,

Will all PC's and TV's purchased in the UK work here in the Republic?
A friend of mine is moving home after Christmas and he is wondering whether he should bring the equipment home or sell it up.

All information appreciated.

Thanks.

Everything works over here - have brought over tv, pc, video, and dvd players. No problems.

ajapale said:
Do UK VCR's work here in the Republic?

It's from the US that you have to be concerned about video players and cassettes.

I suppose a new DTT TV, if it only had a digital tuner, might be problematic from the viewpoint of tuning analogue terrestrial channels. Maybe they all have analogue tuners, don’t really know.

Also some UK TV's might not pick up VHF signals (only really an issue for picking up RTE with an aerial in certain areas). For using cable/Sky and in some areas for RTE by aerial you will be fine with UHF which is what is on UK TV's (TVs for the Irish market are dual UHF/VHF)

Brought my older English bought TV and VHS video over and have problems picking up channels that my Irish TV can pick up with an ordinary aerial.

Also had problems picking up most of the channels on analogue cable - could only get 'at the fecking races' and TG4 with teh old TV.

Got around it when we had digital cable as used a scart lead from cable box to TV and OK.

I think that some (or all?) UK TVs may not cover parts of the relevant broadcast spectrum that Irish TVs do. I'd imagine that if this is the case then a tweak of the tuner by somebody with the necessary expertise would help?

Back