UK-reg car advertising Irish business

RainyDay

Is there any legitimate reason why a UK-registered car would have sign-writing indicating the phone number & address of an Irish company? I spotted a car over the weekend with a UK registration and signage which clearly referred to a 'big name' Irish insurance broker. Would this indicate a breach of VRT regulations? Even if the car had been imported from the UK, surely if they had time to do the signwriting, then they had time to do the registration.

Some courtesy cars used during the Ryders cup had UK reg.
Some lorries used during road works have also UK reg.

So, there could be some specials rules when a "foreign" company temporarily brings in special equipments for doing business.

Perhaps if it was one of the large border based insurance companies, say in Cavan/Fermanagh or somewhere there would be no issue - such companies do have bases in Enniskillen AFAIK, so the car could be based out of that office.
Now, if it were another company, I dunno, but I doubt that a company would avoid VRT if it were due.

Definitely not a border issue - it is a Dublin based company. I can't see how it could be temporary, given that they've gone to the bother of sign-writing the Irish phone/address on the car?

I heard some news reports recently of a Revenue clampdown on evasion of VRT. Maybe I should just report it to Revenue.

I doubt if Revenue will be too worried about this, unless there is something particularly dodgy about the compliance history of the company to which you refer (hardly likely if it is a large IFSRA-regulated broker). One of my former employers, based in the Republic, had (and still have) sales reps operating North of the border and driving NI-reg vans. I frankly don't really see an issue about this.

On a wider issue, it doesn't say a whole lot for the long-term prospects for cross-border trade if Dublin-based companies find themselves being reported to Revenue for simply trying to promote their brand image in the neighbouring jurisdiction.

Cross-border trade wouldn't explain this case. In the first place, the phone number listed on the car is an Irish 1800-freefone number. This broker does operate in the UK, but their website shows 0800 UK freefone numbers for the UK. So if this car is driving round NI, anyone who tries ringing the phone number on the car won't get through.

Also, the reg number is a UK reg, not a NI reg. The format of the number is xx99 xxx (where x is a letter and 9 is a number). According the Wikipedia, current NI reg plates are in the form xxx 9999.

So could there by any legitimate reason why a UK registered car would be advertising an Irish business?

If the car in question is a comercial vehicle then the VRT is very small, something like 50 euro. so the revenue are not loosing sleep.

On a related note, I've noticed several foreign registered vans complete with signage for a well-known cable installation firm that does installation work for ntl. Thought it was a little cheeky.

They may be sub-contractors. ESB do that too, but the subbies vehicles are not painted yellow

So could there by any legitimate reason why a UK registered car would be advertising an Irish business?

Well if its an attempt to save €50 (which Froggy so helpfully pointed out is the VRT rate on commerical vans) they must be some company!

There is no requirement to change plates from UK to NI plates on bringing a UK car into NI.

It is illegal for a RESIDENT of the Rep of Ireland to drive a foreign registered car. There are no exceptions and , in cases like the Ryder Cup, use of these vehicles on the Public Road was an offence.

I brought a foreign registered car to Ireland for Christmas in 2004 and allowed my sister to drive it in Ireland. How is this illegal?

My insurance allows people with full driving licences to drive my vehicle.

Insurance is a different matter. (It's the Law that you must have a Driving Licence but it's not obligitory for you to have a driving licence to be insured.)

If you look at the Revenue website you will see that it is illegal to drive a foreign registered car. If your sister was stopped by the Authorities they would have been within their rights to seize the car.

Check
[broken link removed]

I was wondering about the insurance too. Would an Irish insurance company provide cover for a UK registered car, even for a company with whom thay had a good working relationship? If it is still insured with a UK company, have they told the UK company that it is now based in Ireland?

in some estates and lots of rural dwellings around the border half the cars/vans are norn iron registered. see them on the school runs every day.

Irish insurance companies do provide insurance for UK registered cars.

Under what conditions? Will they provide cover for a UK registered car with an Irish address as the main location for the car (which pretty much confirms VRT evasion)?

I would have thought that too Rainyday, but I do know for a fact that they do provide the service - strange one alright.

Most Ins Companies will provide temporary cover, from month to month, but are likely to place a 30 day limit on the cover offered.