UK pension - 'abroad' in Ireland

aate

For an Irish person to buy back years to avail of the UK pension issue, there seems to be an element of having to pretend that they are in fact a UK person living 'abroad' in Ireland?

Im confused. Who is asking the original question. Is it creamegg or aate?

I dont think you need to pretend anything. Why do you think that you do?

I have dual citizenship (UK and Irish). I used my Irish passport to register online. I'm sure I said I would not be returning to UK on CF83.
It worked no problems.

I have dual citizenship (UK and Irish). I used my Irish passport to register online. I'm sure I said I would not be returning to UK on CF83.
It worked no problems.
I wondered what would happen if you said that you would not be returning!

It does seem to be the underlying premise though that this scheme is really for UK people living abroad - I don't know how the UK government are agreeing to allow Irish people to take advantage of it - they cannot but be aware of that surely - I find it bewildering as they seem hard pressed enough to look after UK people.

Strong whiff of racism coming off this post.

Might I ask the OP what passport(s) they currently hold? And your present country of residence?

Strong whiff of racism coming off this post.

Might I ask the OP what passport(s) they currently hold? And your present country of residence?
Wow!!!

Irish and Ireland.

It was a simple query....I cannot understand how the UK are facilitating this and I hadn't seen any discussion around that aspect. That was all the question was about. Where the accusation of racism comes from I haven't a clue what you are thinking of there?!

Then perhaps don't start referencing 'UK people' and 'Irish people'.

Anyone with an Irish Grandparent can get an Irish passport.

Anyone with a parent born in the UK can claim a British passport.

People living in NI can hold both if they wish.

There is nothing underhand or fraudulent about paying voluntary NICs to claim a UK state pension.

If you don't vote in UK elections and don't pay UK taxes, I fail to see your concern.

Nope. On the form there is a question 'how long do you intend staying abroad' and I answered 'permanently'. I was approved for Class 2 contributions.
Thanks for the wording clarification. Yes that's the question that got me pondering. For me, I was abroad when in the UK but not abroad when back here in Ireland - that's why I felt like having to pretend I was 'abroad ' in Ireland in order to answer the question ... which prompted me to start the thread.

And anyone with an irish-born grandparent born before 1921 - which is most people over 50 - can walk in and claim a UK passport. And since Brexit they can hold this and an Irish passport at the same time.

Just to address the doubt or suspicion of a catch that the OP appears to be sowing or questioning, it's very simple really.

Anyone that has paid a minimal amount of NI contributions in the UK from a period employed there (Regardless of nationality, this doesn't just apply to Irish citizens) may be entitled to claim a UK pension upon reaching the age of 67. Undoubtedly this also conveniently facilitates a huge proportion of British expats living all over the world too.

The same arrangement applies to anyone that has worked for any period, in a multitude of countries around the world, that they may be entitled to claim an old age pension from that country if they prove they complied with the minimal requirements regarding contributions.

So there's nothing untowards or suspicious about it. It's just an entitlement due having made national insurance contributions to that economy in the past.

Absolutely.

But......The big difference is that it doesn't work the same the other way around.

For example, I'm entitled to a full UK state pension, and a partial Irish one. I can't make voluntary contributions of PRSI, to get that up to full pension.

I'm fine with that. Just saying how, if it was the other way round, I'd be able to make voluntary NI payments.