UK EPA valid in Ireland?

Z

z109

Does anyone know if a UK POA is valid in Ireland?

My reality challenged relative of other threads fame signed a power of attorney and an enduring power of attorney in the UK with my sister, but has since come to live in Ireland and is now a) refusing to sign an enduring power of attorney over here and b) not competent to do so anyway.

So we are in a bit of a sticky situation as she has assets in both the UK and Ireland, but in terms of long-term care will probably be in Ireland and her main residence is here.

There is nothing covering it in either country's POA legislation nor are the couple of solicitors we have spoken to seen any case law on it, so I am wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation?

Again thanks for any advice.

That is dreadful - my understanding is that a UK EPA may not be valid in Ireland and that to be sure, there should be an EPA in any jurisdiction where assets are held.

I suspect that you might be able to access cash assets here with the UK EPA but I don't think you could sell property.

You may have to go the road of Ward of Court - it is a bit drastic but sometimes can be the only answer to make sure that people are adequately looked after.

If your "reality challenged relative" - (I love that description - it describes my own dear mother rather well) would not be distressed ( as in would not grasp what was happening and oppose the application) it can be done relatively quickly and painlessly. I find the Wards of Court Office in Smithfield excellent to deal with, albeit given the antiquated laws they work with.

mf

That is dreadful - my understanding is that a UK EPA may not be valid in Ireland and that to be sure, there should be an EPA in any jurisdiction where assets are held.

I suspect that you might be able to access cash assets here with the UK EPA but I don't think you could sell property.

You may have to go the road of Ward of Court - it is a bit drastic but sometimes can be the only answer to make sure that people are adequately looked after.

If your "reality challenged relative" - (I love that description - it describes my own dear mother rather well) would not be distressed ( as in would not grasp what was happening and oppose the application) it can be done relatively quickly and painlessly. I find the Wards of Court Office in Smithfield excellent to deal with, albeit given the antiquated laws they work with.

mf

Thanks for that mf.

Unfortunately there are bouts of extreme paranoia and the "he's trying to get me locked up" episodes happen quite frequently, so a ward of court application would be distressing for all concerned. Luckily the house doesn't need to be sold at the moment, so I can carry on in the gray area for a while!

Back