UK DVD Player

BlueSpud

Is there any issue with buying a DVD player in the UK for use in Ireland. I know there is/was issues with TV's.

You'll need a new plug. That's the only issue. That's the only issues with TVs too. Perhaps you're thinking of US equipment which is indeed incompatible.

Why would you need a new plug ?

The issue with tv's is to do with one of the freq's we use they don't afair

extopia said:
You'll need a new plug. That's the only issue. That's the only issues with TVs too. Perhaps you're thinking of US equipment which is indeed incompatible.

There is a potential issue with TV's too if you are getting RTE over an aerial from a VHF transmitter as some UK TV's only have UHF and don't have VHF. This should not effect a DVD player as they output either on SCART or a presumably a UHF frequency for co-ax connections, an Irish TV is dual VHF/UHF.

Don't understand the comment on the plug either, anything I have ever seen in the UK has the same plugs as Ireland.

dam099 said:
There is a potential issue with TV's too if you are getting RTE over an aerial from a VHF transmitter as some UK TV's only have UHF and don't have VHF. This should not effect a DVD player as they output either on SCART or a presumably a UHF frequency for co-ax connections, an Irish TV is dual VHF/UHF.

Don't understand the comment on the plug either, anything I have ever seen in the UK has the same plugs as Ireland.

A UK DVD recorder may have the same UHV / VHF problem as UK TVs i.e. may not pick up all channels on the RF (antenna) input, unless they are modified with a dual tuner for Irish market. Not a problem if you use a Digibox such as NTL Digital or Sky but will be if you want to record off internal channels on the DVD.

There are no such issues with DVD players.

UK and Irish plugs are the same. Voltage is the same.

[font=Arial,Helvetica][/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica]
Irish TV uses System I, i.e. PAL colour with a 625 line standard with a 6MHz separation between the sound and vision signals. This is the same system as the UK but unlike the UK, VHF is used in addition to UHF. RTE One and Network Two are transmitted using a mix of UHF and VHF, but TG4 and TV3 are transmitted solely on UHF.
[broken link removed][/font]

Back