UK Driving License

That's not the case. The question is normally phrased along the lines of "How long have you held a full license", not how long you've held your current one. It's not an issue.
No it is the case, in my case - I can understand the questions i get asked by the words that they use!
I know someone who did this a number of years ago. It was very easy to sort out. From memory, NDLS issued a letter to the effect that a valid UK license was held for x number of years. This was acceptable to the insurance company.
Thank you, this is helpful, I was not given this info but I didnt specifically ask for that assurance

No it is the case, in my case - I can understand the questions i get asked by the words that they use!

Thank you, this is helpful, I was not given this info but I didnt specifically ask for that assurance

But, even if they worded the question " How long have you had your license", they more than likely, really want to know " How long have you had a valid license?".

The full and accurate answer in either case is " I have an Irish license since xxx, but I have had a UK License for 15 years prior to that".

But, even if they worded the question " How long have you had your license", they more than likely, really want to know " How long have you had a valid license?".

The full and accurate answer in either case is " I have an Irish license since xxx, but I have had a UK License for 15 years prior to that".

Exactly, but I don't think they expect such a pedantic answer. What they want to know is how long have you held a full Irish or UK license. Answer: 10 years, or whatever it is.

Looks like they're stalling again - I was going to kick off the licence exchange tomorrow but definitely holding off now.
This daft process might never happen at all at this rate.

What’s the advantage of having a UK licence anyway? More police checks if you happen to drive in the six counties?

What’s the advantage of having a UK licence anyway? More police checks if you happen to drive in the six counties?
I dont get points for traffic offences - now saying that, I have had just two traffic offences in the time since points were introduced (2002)

Do you need to change your uk licence to Irish now? Any update on this please? Getting conflicting views on needing to change before the end of Jan or end of December 2020.

Also will be loosing some driving classes by changing over to Irish licence.

Marzic
If you get points here you will pay a fine and points information will be held. This information is held for 6years I think so if you change to an Irish licence within that time they will then be added. After 6years you get a letter saying they are now removed.

My understanding is as follows:

Providing the withdrawal agreement is finally passed, licences will continue to be mutually recognised during the transition period. This is currently until 31/12/2020. At that point, there is either a deal, no deal or an extension to the transition period. My GUESS (and it is just that) is that: a deal will probably include ongoing licence recognition, but this is not certain; no deal will almost certainly mean no continuing licence recognition; an extension will mean the mutual recognition continues during the extended withdrawal period, but with ongoing doubt about what happens at the end of transition. If you plan to continue living and driving in Ireland and can live with the category losses, the path of least pain would seem to be to exchange your UK licence to Irish sooner rather than later.

If I was a betting man, I would probably put my 50 cents on the withdrawal agreement clearing the UK parliament (it's already through the Commons) and that the UK toddles off out of the EU via the agreed transition on 31/1/2020. I would not put anything on any of the possible outcomes at 31/12/2020 - it's far too uncertain.

Paul

Back