Uk divorce not cleared through cro?

B

BELLELULU

hello, lookng for some advice here,
my fiance was married before and has a UK divorce which was granted in 1996 - he got married in ireland but is certain that his wife was domiciled in the UK at the time of the divorce

We planned to get married this year and went about the process of registering our wedding. we provided a copy of the decree absolut which we obtained from the UK.
We also had to complete a divorce questionnaire and it stated that where we could not provide exact info to put unavailable. As there has been virtually no communication with this person, my fiance was unable to give full and accurate dates etc on the divorce questioniare.
We have since been advised that the UK divorce will not be recognised here as neither party were living in uk. However, we tried to advise cro that his wife had been but they would not accept our word.
My question now is, can he apply for an Irish divorce or how do we go about appealing the decision made by the cro?
Is it possible to get married overseas? I should point out that my fiance was born in UK but has lived in ireland for many years,

any advice welcome

Firstly call cro and ask those very questions.

My instinct would be that you could not marry overseas if his divorce is not recognized. Having said that my mothers divorce was a uk one and after a lot of negotiation with cro my parents eventually married overseas. But it was not that they weren't recognizing her divorce. It was something to do with that questionnaire and they then sought. Signed affidavit from her ex whom she tried to explain hadn't been seen nor heard from in over 30years!

There is nothing to stop them getting married in a state where the divorce is recognised. The Irish government would have no choice but to accept the marriage.

thats my feeling on it too but really would prefer to get married in ireland... I have everything booked!