uk divorce - ancillary relief

D

dec

Hi,

First time poster but long time reader and wonder if anyone can help. I will be speaking to a solicitor also but just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience of something like this.

My ex-spouse is a UK national and is back residing in the UK following the breakdown of our marriage. We have a Separation Agreement in place in Ireland and all financial details were agreed and finalised at the time. There are no children.

My ex now wishes to file for divorce in the uk (which I am not contesting and have no problem with) since we are three years separated. However, in the documents that I have received, under the "prayer" section, there is a section that prays that my ex may be granted ancillary relief on a number of items including:
an order for maintenance pending suit
lump sum order
property adjustment order
etc.

Can anyone advise as to why these would be included when we have already agreed everything specifically within the terms of the Separation Agreement. I am just concerned and don't want to return the papers until I am sure. I will hopefully get to my solicitor this week but in the meantime if anyone can shed any light I'd be very grateful!

It could well be a stock document which cites all possible reliefs, but he need not necessarily go ahead and apply for all reliefs. However it would be important to cover it off by having your solicitor reply on your behalf and ensure the divorce is granted by consent but with only the relevant reliefs granted.

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. She says she' s not getting a solicitor as there doesn't seem to be any need. I can't get hold of my solicitor and am wondering what they'll charge for looking at this. The amount they charged for drawing up the separation agreement was scandalous considering we had actually agreed everything before we went to them.

Back