UK credit card debt and death of cardholder

Edenbridge14

Hi folks
Not sure what to do in this instance
My dad passed away last week - may he RIP.
Hes originally from UK but living in Ireland for last 15 years
He has a UK credit card with balance of 3000 Sterling and he used to pay 50 a month
Mum is struggling to pay the funeral as it is of 6000
As his daughter is there anything anyone can advise ?

Sorry for your loss.
I'm no expert, but... I'd suggest not stressing over it in the short/medium term. Its an unsecured debt in a different country, they are not going to come knocking on your door. Whoever is responsible for administrating his estate should probably contact them to tell them he has passed away, then they should stop adding interest.

Your dad has clearly paid them a lot of interest over the years.

I would just post them anonymously a copy of a statement and his death certificate. Don't mention next of kin or executor.

You might never hear from them again.

Its an unsecured debt in a different country, they are not going to come knocking on your door.
I would just post them anonymously a copy of a statement and his death certificate. Don't mention next of kin or executor.

So people shouldn't pay their debts if they are in a different country or if it's hard for the lender to recover it?

Or is it that people should try to escape credit card debts?

If the father had assets at his death, his executor or administrator will be obliged to use those assets to pay his debts and should do so.

If the father had no assets, then the debt can't be paid and the administrator should notify the credit card company.

Brendan

Reactions: jpd

If the father had no assets, then the debt can't be paid and the administrator should notify the credit card company.

The OP did not indicate that she was executor or administrator.

My practical advice to the family was simply to inform the credit card company immediately and officially of his death.

That does not disoblige the administrator of any obligations.

Not an easy time for the OP. As there does not seem to be any money here than the OP should telephone the credit card company, explain her father has passed away and there is no money to pay them. Normally organisations have a special unit for this situation and it's generally a very sympathetic department in my experience.

The debt being your father's does not mean it is your mother's debt or indeed yours. It is highly unlikely the CC company will try and recover such an insignificant sum. They may send a letter though. You can come back on here for advice than or you can ignore the letter entirely.

So people shouldn't pay their debts if they are in a different country or if it's hard for the lender to recover it?

I didnt say either of those Brendan. The OP's parent died a week ago. The other parent is stressing over paying for a funeral and a 3k debt to a bank. Its not a time to be stressing over something like this, or listening to people on high-horses telling them that they need to pay their debts.
The debt will get sorted one way or the other. But let the OP go back to grieving.

Its an unsecured debt in a different country, they are not going to come knocking on your door.

Hi JJ

Apologies. I misunderstood this to be a suggestion that they would not be pursued for it so they do no need to pay it.

I really don't think that suggesting that people should pay their debts is "a high moral horse".

Brendan

I really don't think that suggesting that people should pay their debts is "a high moral horse".

The deceased was paying his debts. He has sadly passed away and can no longer do so.

The administrator of his estate does not have any moral obligation here (he or she did not incur the debt), just a legal one.

He has a legal obligation to pay the debt if there are assets to cover it?

I would have thought that meeting your legal obligations was a moral issue.

Brendan

Don’t worry about it. The will/probate/etc procedure will pay off the debt. Your father’s solicitor will take care of all this. Unfortunately, they’ll probably have to engage the services of solicitor in the UK and apply for probate in the UK as well.
Does he have any other debts or assets in the UK?
The fees, charges, etc will probably exceed the amount of the debt.
I don’t think the credit card company will “come after you” to repay the debt. However, in order the settle your father’s affairs, probate and so it, I’d say it’ll get paid out of his estate.
I’ve some shares in the UK and USA. I intend to liquidate these long before I reach retirement age. Foreign debts/assests unduly complicate the probate procedure and duplicate fees and charges.

Thanks for the replies folks. I will send the credit card bill and a copy of death cert to Halifax.
If they wish to pursue then they can
My dad only had his family home and a couple of grand in the credit union which is going towards the funeral. No other assets
My mum is due to start chemo in next few weeks for lung cancer and to be honest we have so much going on.
He was 89

Back