UK considering a move to Dublin (South Side). Schools/Education etc

V

Vectis

I am currently living in the UK.

However, following several visits to Dublin now like to make it my home, both for myself & my young family.

We are anticipating a move to the South Side of the river within the next 12-18 months.

I do however have some concerns; Despite my best efforts I still have little understanding of the Irish Education system. I need to ensure that my son (currently two) receives the best education available?

Are private, fee paying schools are answer or is "state" the way to go?

I would appreciate any comments, recommendations or suggestions...

Re: Considering a move to Dublin | In need of Guidance

Hi Vectis,

Welcome to AAM.

I have moved your thread to this forum as I think it is the better option.

You don't mention your employment/housing options as things as I'm sure you are aware are getting tougher day by day on the job scene.

These web sites might be helpful for housing options www.myhome.ie and www.daft.ie.

Do you have particular areas in mind already for the schooling? My own personal opinion is that private fee paying are not worth the high costs especially for primary schooling.

I agree re private schooling, I went to private schools all my life and and the teachers are no better if not worse that those in state schools. I intend to send my kids to state schools, you are better off saving your money for college fees.

It depends where on Dublins south side you are thinking of moving to.
Areas vary wildly as do schools.

I am currently living in London but am from Dublin and planning to move back to Dun Laoghaire in Dublin next Summer with my family including two young children. You are right in that it is very difficult to find useful objective information about which are the good schools and whether a particular school is good or not. There is no equivalent to OFSTED reports. I think the best way to go about it is to try to isolate areas you would like to live in and then ask the estate agents/vendors of particular houses about the schools in the area. Generally speaking, I believe the average standard of state primary schools in ireland to be above that in the UK. However, I am sure there are some which you would want to avoid. Good luck with it all.

I agree re private schooling, I went to private schools all my life and and the teachers are no better if not worse that those in state schools. I intend to send my kids to state schools, you are better off saving your money for college fees.

It depends where on Dublins south side you are thinking of moving to.
Areas vary wildly as do schools.

I think one's estimation of how good a school is also depends on how you grade or rank schools and what you consider important for your children's development - is your criteria how well they do in exams and in particular the Leaving Cert or do you feel that a non denominational education is more important or is access to sports and other facilities a primary concern, or is the state of the school buildings themselves important? I think you need to think about some of these things when making a decision.

You may already be aware but just to let you know that state schools are primarily Catholic ie they teach Roman Catholicism as an integral part of the curriculum. There are a number of schools run to the Church of Ireland ethos and they normally give preference of attendance to those who are members of the Church of Ireland (at least they do in my area anyway). There are other non denominational schools ie Educate Together but they are not universally available.

As for which is better - state or fee paying, there is no one answer - it all depends; as Draoighonta said it depends on the location but it also depends on the child as some children end up doing better in one school versus another.

As an example - I live in Greystones and the opinion that I have formed is that the state Primary level education ie age 5 to 12 is excellent in the area and there is no need to send my kids to private school. However, currently, I feel that the secondary level (ie age 12 to 18) state school in the area is not as good as others that may be available so at the moment I am planning to send my kids to private secondary school. I based my decision on conversations with parents and past pupils of the local state school, published college entrance results and the physical state of the building and the extra curricular activities offered. Other people may undertake the same analysis and come to the conclusion that the state school is perfect for their children.

The other issue is if you decide to go private schooling then, in many places, you are into waiting lists and uncertainty over whether your children will get a place in the school you want because of excess demand - it would be worth making a few phone calls to see what the availability of places is if you decide on a school you like.

Anyway - they're my thoughts and aplogies for the long post

The parenting website www.rollercoaster.ie has a discussion board on education where you might find out more information or be able to post questions about schools, when you have narrowed down the locations that you are interested in.

If you select the right non fee paying school in Dublin you will get as good an education if not better than fee paying schools.
From my experience and knowledge in the Dublin 14/16 area non fee schools such St. Benildus, De La Salle, Oatlands, ( all boys schools) turn out a very high level of students who go on to third level and even if not going to university they give a good education anyway.

I have no reason to think that the non fee paying girls schools are any different.

Back