UK Citizen living in Ireland post Brexit Pension concerns

oakie2015

Quick question for my MIL, she is a UK citizen, but has resided, worked, and owned a home in Ireland for the last 20 years approx. As it stands she is entitled to UK pension based on contributions over there, and would be due an Irish state pension in the next couple of years based on contributions here,
She is concerned that post Brexit her pension entitlements here may change, has anyone looked into this, I'd like to be able to reassure her
I initially thought that because she has contributed to both state pensions she would still be entitled to one, but I'm not sure, how does it work for eg a US citizen here?

If she has paid into UK system, she will be entitled to her UK state pension. Post Brexit, if it happens, as nothing is concrete yet, the UK government may well decide not to give the yearly increases. Currently only countries that have a bilateral agreement with UK get the yearly increases but as you say that could all change if there is a hard Brexit. I think we will just have to wait and see.

Thank you, would her Irish entitlement change given that she is not a citizen here. or is it based on contributions rather than nationality?

It's based on contributions rather than nationality. Do a search on here as they are plenty of post on topic. I have paid into both Irish and UK system so will be entitled to draw state pension from both countries. Also if your partner is expecting to receive UK pension in couple of years she should check and see if she can pay voluntary class three contributions so as to increase her pension. All the info you need is on the HMRC webzite

Post Brexit, if it happens, as nothing is concrete yet, the UK government may well decide not to give the yearly increases.

Post-1922, ROI residents have generally been treated as equal to UK residents under British law. I suspect that any attempt to deny paid-for entitlements to Irish resident UK citizens would amount to illegal discrimination.

Oakie,

With confidence tell her enjoy both ROI & Uk pensions.
She has twenty years ROI , write to DEPT of SOCIAL WElfare , MC Carters Rd, Buncrana , quote PRSI number and ask for statement , once got check what she will get.
In the same way write to Newcastle as per HMRC website for projected pension.

Back