UFH and wooden floors

Scut&Gill

Hi all,
I've checked the other threads on this one but cant find an answer!
Our floors are not level!! Great! We have underfloor heating and will be putting down semi-solid oak flooring. The problem is that we need to raise the floor to align with the tiles in other adjoining rooms.....the tiler had to do a load of screeding himself to get the floors level.
Can we put down batons and nail the wooden floor boards onto them or will the heating get "stuck" in the air pocket in between??? Really dont want to go screeding again and dont know if leveling compound will work either...
Any suggestions would be really apprediated.....

Batons are not a good idea with underfloor heating. You will lose a lot of heat with the air between the scread and the floor boards. Leveling compound might work in terms of heat transfer but if your thinking of using batons I take it you have to raise the floor by an inch or so and that might be too high for leveling compound. Scread is your best bet. However, too much scread can take from the performance of the UFH also. I think that all the extra screading your tiler had to do to get the floor level has put you in an awkward situation. Maybe you could get a good quality laminate that will help with the heat tranfer with the extra scread. I know alot of laminates can look "plastic" but there are some nice ones out there. We have semi solid in our sitting room and find it a bit cold with the UFH. We have a nice laminate in our other rooms and they heat up much better.

With respect to levelling compound I have used a product that will do 50mm in 1 pour.
Strangely enough it was called "Deep Fill".
A new screed would be less expensive I would imagine.

What height (thickness) are the ajoining tiles?
10mm with 3/4mm adhesive would be normal I think.
So say 14mm.
What thickness is your semi-solid (+ underlay)?

Back