UFH and Solid Wood Flooring

mickeyg

I have seen various mentions on the suitability of Solid Wood floors for UFH and differing viewpoints. Does anyone have direct experience of this and/or can give me a definitive answer on the actual suitability or not.

Same as you Mickeyg - We have semi solid with UFH, reason been that I was advised by our suppliers to do so, mate has solid with his UFH, no issues.

I think that it maybe down to the type of timber.

We were advised to put Junckers solid down on our UFH - the only one the floor installer (a family friend, so no kickbacks etc) would recommend long-term.

Very happy with the floors. A slight shrinkage in the winter, but fills up nicely in the summer.

Brooks were the only people that stocked it, it's horrid expensive, but we bought in one of the six monthly sales (I believe there's one on at the moment).

We also put down Junckers. They recommended to go clip system as opposed to Glue down. Very happy with the timber. I went for 14mm OAK Shipsdecking. It looks Fab. I have tiles in the Kitchen and Hall and the Timber floor is 4/5 degrees lower than the tiles but this will have to be expected. I would still prefer to glue doen the floor as I maintain the underlay and 1000g polythene hinders the transfer of heat.

hi, try this company Wood Inovations based in Warrenpoint. They do an underlay that you stick the solid floors to, especially for UFH. This is the way we are going. Check their website, and tel no is ++(0)28-41 773366.

We are probably going to use timber flooring from this guy Arthur who can be got at ++ (0)28-25643350. I don't have his website on me, but if you call him you can get it from him. He is very helpful. I do not have any relationship with the above companies. Let us know what you do.
Optimistic.

I have 21mm solid walnut glued and the UFH works quite well - no cupping as yet but down just a year. I have semi solid floating also and the heat transfer is not as good and the screed has to be heated to a higher temp.

Back