UCI Cinema 'Premier' seats legroom

R

rmelly

I saw a film at Movies @ Dundrum over Christmas and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of legroom compared to that in UCI cinemas. There was much more legroom than even the Premier seating in UCI has (not that I ever pay for Premier, I generally try to go offpeak to avoid the crowds so Premium surcharge not active).

Another rip off beside the food and drink?

A lot of new cinemas, or cinemas that are being refitted, are opting to put in seats with extra legroom to bring more comfort after feedback recieved.

Before this, cinemas thought that they could charge extra to have seats with extra legroom, but with the current climate, a lot of people simply won't pay up.

Cinemas are getting worried that their customers wont be gracing their doors anymore, so a small bit of comfort might give them the upper hand.

The UCI in Coolock (my closest cinema) was refitted a couple of years ago, all seats were replaced and at this point they introduced the Premier seating, but it still has less than Dundrums standard seating, even though there is a premium charge for it.

My upper legs aren't particularly long but I can't sit with my legs straight in front of me in UCI without them pressing against the seat in front.

I just wish we had Gold Class lounges like they have in Australia - there are maybe 20 seats in the cinema, and each one is a fully reclining, red plush seat. There are tables between the seats too, and you can preorder food to be brought in during the movie. Because the seats are placed so far apart, you don't hear anyone if they talk, nor do you get kids kicking the back of your seat. Heaven!

Closest we have here is the VIP room in Movies @ Swords, and that's not really a patch on Gold Class *sigh*

Last edited:
Have to agree with you on the Gold Class in Australia Celtwytch...when I was there on hols was brought to the movies where we had food served to us for the movie and you could bring in your bottle of wine to have with the dinner (the waiters are all very discreet and don't disturb your enjoyment of the film). Also, all your pocorn and soft drinks were free. If that were in Ireland we would be charged a fortune for it but to the best of my recollection it was only about 20 dollars in Oz. Great place to go on a date or a girls evening out for a chic flick.

In fairness, a large drink and a humongous bag of popcorn are included in the price of the ticket in the VIP room @ Swords and The Mezz @ Dundrum. (I wouldn't say they're free, since you are paying more than you would to watch the film in the regular cinema).

In fairness, a large drink and a humongous bag of popcorn are included in the price of the ticket in the VIP room @ Swords

I went there couple years ago, but didnt think it was worth it for what we got.

Very nice cinema, cant remember how much we paid but do remember thinking it wasnt THAT much nicer to justify whatever we paid even with a drink and popcorn.

I'm reading this in the middle of the night and laughing to myself at how differently people think. As a smoker, to be honest, I haven't really gone to the cinema very much in the last fifteen years or so and still think that a film without a cigarette is just no good .Please don't start an anti smoking rant; what really drove me out of cinemas was the disgusting smell of hot food, some of it being eaten out of buckets that would be enough to feed small calves. To this day , I don't enjoy cinemas anymore but happily would return sans cigs if they would ban food. Can people not go and watch a 2 hr film without gorging themselves?

Brianne, I have to agree with you on the subject of the smell of hot food in cinemas - it is pretty disgusting! If people must eat, why can't they confine it to popcorn or sweets (preferably in non-rustling packets )

I work in a cinema, and the length that people go to 'smuggle' in hot food is unreal. Think stuffed up jumpers and even in hoods.

The smell is unreal. We don't mind people bringing in their own food, but not cooked stuff, as it stinks the places out. We've had local chipper food, MaccyD's, BK and plenty of Chinese food too!

Maybe they are smokers trying to strangle the cravings for a couple of hours?