UB didnt take mortgage payments for 3 months

Nicetoknow

Sharing this as a cautionary tale about not checking our account transactions regularly and maybe someone will have some advice for us also!

In summary, Ulster Bank stopped taking our monthly mortgage payments when we stopped our monthly overpayment (their error), as yet not sorted out.

Back story:
We were overpaying our mortgage by 700 a month. I called UB in Dec to stop the overpayment because we wanted more funds to start living a bit again now that Covid is over.

Based on all the great advice on here, we applied to Avant for 7 years fixed in Feb and got AIP in April (delighted to get this). We are self employed so it has taken a lot of back and forth to get the AIP. I requested a break fee from UB in early April so I could understand how much we are on the hook for to move to Avant. Nothing arrived. I rang again to ask why, again I was told it would be sent. Still nothing arrived.

When asked by our broker for the final amount we want in the loan offer from Avant, I checked my online UB Mortgage account and saw our balance has gone up by approx 4000e since Jan, when it ought to have gone down.

I checked my statements and sure enough, I found no payment was made to UB since December (SHOCK, PANICK! ). There were however sufficient funds to pay the mortgage in out account when the mortgage ought to have been paid. No one in UB alerted us that our mortgage had not been paid, no letter, no mention of the issue when I called to request break fee (twice).

The account we use to pay our mortgage is used for all expenses and we didn't notice payments had not been taken - I guess life had been so much more expensive since Dec (we took a foreign holiday, had a few very big energy bills etc ). We are self employed so our income is variable also so the money that goes into this account also varies. We probably should have noticed, but we didn't.

As soon as I realised payments had not been made, I called UB and let them know. I said we could pay the three months that had not be paid.) UB acknowledged their error (said notes on file said we requested to stop only the overpayment) and asked me to transfer 4 months mortgage payments (they wanted April early since they couldn't reactivate the DD in time to take the payment) and said they would call me back with an update this week. It was stressful to have to come up with all this cash but we ought to have paid most of it months back.

I haven't received promised update call from UB. I called myself earlier today and was told it could take 10 days for them to apply the payment we sent and only then could they calculate the break fee.

Currently we are greater than 90 days since our last payment. We expect the Avant loan offer to be issued early next week and our current situation is that UB cannot/ will not provide us with a break fee calculation or redemption figure (until payments are applied) so we don't know how much money we will need to pay and I don't know whether some kind of issue will get flagged on our credit report for Avant (I hope to god this doesn't happen and its what I'm really worried about!).

Maybe I should not be worried?

This is messy.

If you had the mortgage payments amount, say €6,000, in your account, then Ulster Bank should reverse the interest charged on that amount, but that is small.

Your main focus should be on your credit record. Check it out immediately. https://www.centralcreditregister.ie/
I see that they are saying it takes four weeks to send it to you.

If Ulster has admitted by phone that it was there error make a note of the date and time and the name of the person who told you.

Ulster Bank must fix your credit record if it has been impaired, but it's the type of administrative mess up which might stop Avant taking you on.

But the Ombudsman will award you compensation.

So if Avant refuses you, keep the letter of refusal.

Brendan

Hi Brendan, would you have any further advice for me. I really appreciate your time in reading my posts.

I have been calling Ulster Bank every second day to try get an update or resolution on this issue.
I talked to Arrears services and they said we have not been notified to the credit bureau. I have applied to see my own record and am waiting on that.

Despite paying the back payments three weeks ago, they still haven't been applied to our mortgage account. They are unable / unwilling to give us / our solicitor a redemption figure to redeem the mortgage. When I call the complaints department I am told ' no update'. I get a strong sense no on I talk to cares about resolving the issue - I guess why would they since they are on the way out the door.

Our current situation is that we are blocked from switching banks by Ulster Bank and have been for the last month - and I don't know how to get us unblocked. Would you have any suggestions?

The payments once made should be visible on your mortgage against the balance.
Do you use or can you use Manage My Mortgage on the ulster Bank website?

For a redemption statement, just send them a letter. they have to complete the task they have service agreements.

Hi. The payment was made into the account UB specified. I have access to Manage my Mortgage. I can see that the payment of nearly 10000 has not been applied.

I have asked for the redemption figure, a month ago but I'm not being listened to...they are basically ignoring me.

ok, sounds like it was put into a holding account before being lodged to your mortgage. That timing is terrible though.
Id write a complaint letter advising of when and where they payment was made and to make sure it is correctly applied to the date that it should have gone in.

Forget about Ulster Bank for the moment.

What stage are you at in your switch to Avant?

1) Application made - awaiting approval
2) Loan offer with fixed rate given
3) Loan offer accepted

If you have not yet received your loan offer, then you have not lost out.
If you are ready to go and can't because of Ulster, then the Ombudsman will look after you.

So, for example, if you end up paying a higher rate because of Ulster Bank's delay, the Ombudsman will probably award you compensation.

Draw down your loan from Avant as soon as you can. Your solicitor will pay it off Ulster as soon as they give you a figure.

Brendan

Hey Brendan, We are at stage 3 as set out above. I had a call from UB today and they have now applied the payment we made and reversed interest over charges so I'm hopeful we can move ahead now. Thanks for advice

That's good.

This is probably still heading for the Ombudsman, so make absolutely sure to make a note of your conversation today. The time, the date, the person's name and the content.

They probably won't write to you confirming this. So you should write to them confirming everything that was agreed.

Brendan

By way of update on this, our solicitor got a redemption figure over the phone from UB and completed the switch to Avant. UB gave us 400 euro in acknowledgement of their administration error and our time spent trying get the issue resolved. Thanks Brendan for your advice

By way of update on this, our solicitor got a redemption figure over the phone from UB and completed the switch to Avant. UB gave us 400 euro in acknowledgement of their administration error and our time spent trying get the issue resolved. Thanks Brendan for your advice
Did you get the 7-year fixed rate at 1.95% from Avant? I.e., did Avant consider that they had everything they needed from you by last Friday so that you avoided the rate increases? (Last Friday was the apparent cutoff for paperwork in order to draw down by 15th July and beat the rate increases.)

Back