Tyrone vs Dublin

Humpback

I'm getting really annoyed over the past few days regarding the coverage given to the scenes during this game last Sunday. Declaring no conflict of interest, I support neither team, nor am I from either province.

From much of the coverage that I've read and listened to, the media and people "down the country" are tending to lay the blame at the door of the Dubs, going up there, giving the poor young weak lads from Tyrone a hard time.

How long have we watched Tyrone (and Armagh) come up against other counties and literally box, push, punch and throw players off the ball in what the GAA is letting go as the "tackle" these days.

Take the humiliation of Kerry in the semi-final against Tyrone a couple of years ago - how many frees were called in that game? After the uproar caused by that game, the GAA seems to me to have gone down the road of just blowing less frees rather than addressing the root causes of the frees.

For Dublin to have gone up there, stood their ground and not given an inch (which they're perfectly entitled to do) is applaudable in my mind. Teams should have done this to Tyrone and Armagh years ago rather than rolling over meakly in the face of the violence they're subjected to in supposed football competitions.

That Tyrone on Sunday didn't appreciate at all the fact that they were stood up to shows them in their true light as bullies and thugs, masquarading as footballers. And the behaviour of their fans, and their intimidation of the Dublin panel, just illustrates this even further.

That one of the incidents started on Sunday because of a Tyrone player faking an injury to the face, as exemplified by Arjen Robbin on Sunday for Chelsea, just shows that they manner and tone which Tyrone play their football is becoming more and more despicable.

The cynical manner in which Tyrone and Armagh have perfected this thuggish type of football style, yet fall over at the slightest hint of a tackle themselves is something that is totally unwelcome in GAA football.

That the GAA are afraid to do anything about it at all is, in my view, down to the fact that in their defence Tyrone and Armagh always start squealing on about the fact that "all" the southerners are against them, causing the GAA to back away in fear.

I believe that this in itself will mean that Dublin will be more harshly punished by the GAA than Tyrone will.

I say fair play to Dublin. More teams should have the bravery to stand up to the thugs of Tyrone and Armagh football. There was a time when pure football could beat these teams as Donegal and Mayo showed in the last few years, but even footballing teams are having the crap kicked out of them by these 2 teams, meaning that the Dublin tactics seem to be the only way to go now.

It takes 2 to tango!!!!!!!!
Its just a reflection how the game of Gaelic football has turned into a joke.
The rules are gone from the game and its the poor relation to hurling if you ask me.
However having said that have a closer look at the incidents especially the one on the sideline and have a good look at the Dublin no.14.If anybody had ever lost the plot that guy did.
I felt sorry for the referee during the game as there was no way to restore order with what was going on.
Tyrone and Dublin are to blame not just Tyrone

D

Dublin started the worst of the flare ups when Brogan started roaring at the Tyrone doctor who was leaving the field. Its dublins attitude that starts these things, and you hardly expect the other team not to defend themselves. Whelan at midfield also starts a lot of trouble with his flying fists. If Dublin put some of the effort into their game play as they do into their raving mad lunatic attitudes then they might win the All Ireland. They seem more interested in diving into a 12 man fight than winning games.

Whelan is a muppet. Ive seen him playing for club and county and hes a mouthpiece.
Brogan isn't a trouble maker. I reckon the Tyrone physio said something inflammatory.
I have to disagree with Tyrone being thugs. They're hardy footballers but they are one of the most skilful teams in the country. McGuigan, Mulligan and O Neill are testimony to this fact.
The media love when this happens in the GAA. Especially Independent news and media.
No-one got injured so lets get over it.

The Dubs were pysched up for this one no doubt about it. (Inside information;) )

Dublin started the worst of the flare ups when Brogan started roaring at the Tyrone doctor who was leaving the field
Dont know about that. I watched it, it was VERY obvious the doctor had said something to brogan, who in his wound up state was (ahem) "vociferously replying". The mill started when brogan was barged in the back by one of the Tyrone lads to stop him "vociferously replying" to the doctor. So was it the doctor who said something to Brogan, Brogan who was replying to him or the tyrone player who barged Brogan the fault of that one?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me!

I blame the Tyrone fella who charged Brogan. Although he did get his comeuppance when Bonnar buried him from behind! Id say he got a touch of whiplash!

car said:
it was VERY obvious the doctor had said something to brogan,

Saying something like, maybe, "how dare ye come up here and play us at our "game" and beat us as well"......

I thought that Whelan was largely responsible for starting the melee as it was he who grabbed the Tyrone player on the ground and tried to haul him up.

The Tyrone doctor probably did say something to Brogan. If he incited the second row (tough to prove what he said), he should face some kind of suspension as well.

I'm going to stay away from commenting on this particular game (I've said more than enough on it off AAM!), but the GAA are a joke when it come to discipline anyway. For example, Dublin mentor Paul Clarke receives a one match ban for entering the field of play and assaulting a player. Tyrone player Ryan McMenamin gets off without a ban of any kind (on a technicality) for sticking his knees into a stricken Armagh player last summer.

The trouble is (IMHO) that the there are too many loopholes and too many people are willing to exploit them. It's time for players to cop on, and for County Boards to stop taking actions to defend them when they are clearly in the wrong.

Deducting points from both teams (like the FA did to Utd. and Arsenal in recent years) would be best solution in my opinion. Of course if this happened, one or both County Boards would probably take it to the High Court.

CCOVICH said:
I thought that Whelan was largely responsible for starting the melee as it was he who grabbed the Tyrone player on the ground and tried to haul him up.

This is what I'd touched upon above as well. Chances are, the Tyrone player had nothing wrong with them and was more than likely playacting in order to try to get the offending (?) Dublin player sent off.

Who could blame Whelan and his frustration when subjected to the Armagh/Tyrone good old "get a kick in the ankle, and go down like a sack of spuds holding the face" trick.

Whelan had no right to do anything to the player on the ground. Whether the Tyrone player was playacting (I happen to think he wasn't), Ciaran Whelan has no right to take the law into his own hands and it's not as if Ciaran Whelan is an angel himself.

CCOVICH said:
Whelan had no right to do anything to the player on the ground. Whether the Tyrone player was playacting (I happen to think he wasn't), Ciaran Whelan has no right to take the law into his own hands and it's not as if Ciaran Whelan is an angel himself.

Not arguing with you CCOVICH. And would fully endorse your comments regarding the GAA and the rules etc as per your original post.

My issue is that a symptom of all of that is the ability of players now to con the ref into doing things, and all players on the pitch, and the spectators, know that the ref is being conned, yet rarely does the ref know it himself.

I saw the match in question but in general I don't watch Gaelic football anymore as I think that it is no longer a game of skill and has more to do with which team is able to intimidate and bully the other off the field. This is as much (or more) of a problem at club and underage level.
It's a pity as it can be a great game.

ronan_d_john said:
Not arguing with you CCOVICH. And would fully endorse your comments regarding the GAA and the rules etc as per your original post.

My issue is that a symptom of all of that is the ability of players now to con the ref into doing things, and all players on the pitch, and the spectators, know that the ref is being conned, yet rarely does the ref know it himself.

Fair enough. It is pointless getting into that type of argument (which team is in the right etc)-that's exclusivley for the GAA forum on www.boards.ie :).

I think the standard of refereeing is generally terrible. The only things I will say in defence of refs: it's a thankless task and if players are going to cheat etc. it can be hard to spot them.

I've just finished reading an article in the Irish Times by Sean Moran that suggest that the GAA may not be in a position to take further action on foot of video evidence due to the precedent set by the McMenamin case last summer. They had the chance to reform their procedures in light of that case, which they declined to do. This notion that referees are infallible is ridiculous-they are only human after all.

If appropriate action is not taken against both teams, this thing will only rumble on into the summer (what are the odds of both teams meeting again at Croke Park, in front of thousands and hundreds of thousands on TV), and we could easily have a repeat.

One thing I remember from playing rugby when I was younger (the chairman of the Referee's Committee alludes to the fact that discipline and respect are drilled into egg chasers at an early age in today's Irish Times), is that if I swore after a penalty was given out, it was a 10 yard penalty straight away. You didn't even have to swear at the ref! There needs 6t be more respect for referees (by players anyway) and the rules in general if scenes like Sunday's are to be avoided.

Purple said:
I saw the match in question but in general I don't watch Gaelic football anymore as I think that it is no longer a game of skill and has more to do with which team is able to intimidate and bully the other off the field. This is as much (or more) of a problem at club and underage level.
It's a pity as it can be a great game.

Absolutely not true, what are you basing that on? I have been playing club football for 12 years, in two different counties (not at the same time!) and at different levels and games are never played or won based on intimidation and bullying, you wont win games that way. And there are no teams who are not man enough to cope with any intimidation they get which is very rare anyways.

Mrs Purples Nephew plays underage for club and county. He has had his ribs cracked twice in 18 months (off the ball) and had his lip split after a game by an opposition supporter. Nothing done over any incident.
I played for my school and my oldest son plays for a club. I have seen the older kids teams knocking lumps out of each other many a weekend.

And surely people remember the case revolving around the Laois county hurling final last year? There is also a fairly well known Kerry footballer serving a lengthy suspension relating to an incident involving a referee in a club game. There two of the more well-known incidents that spring to mind. A few more will no doubt come to mind if I think about it. So there certainly appears to be evidence to support what Purple is saying outside of his own experience.

We could change the title of the thread to reflect the fact that discipline in the GAA goes far beyond Tyrone vs Dublin?

I dont know how many GAA clubs are in the county, it surely runs into 1000+, theres always going to be injuries and dirty players. But to suggest its somehow widespread is not a true reflection. Its a physical game but bullying\intimidation\dirty play is not as common as previous posters suggest, based on my experience anyways.

SteelBlue05 said:
Its a physical game but bullying\intimidation\dirty play is not as common as previous posters suggest, based on my experience anyways.

And everyone's experience is different, so it's more than likely that we'll have to agree to disagree as whether or not there are inherent problems with discipline in the GAA.

I'm a huge GAA fan/supporter, I have played the game, so I'm not anti-GAA.

On Sunday a Tyrone sub came on. The first thing he did was shove the player he was marking. When the Dublin player didn't respond he did it again a few times. I have seen this time and again at every level. I am not talking about pushing against your marker, I am talking about a running shoulder into the back and a few elbows to follow. What a bunch of thugs. This is pure intimidation and as long as it is acceptable I will hold the view that it is a second rate sport.

Purple said:
On Sunday a Tyrone sub came on. The first thing he did was shove the player he was marking. When the Dublin player didn't respond he did it again a few times. I have seen this time and again at every level. I am not talking about pushing against your marker, I am talking about a running shoulder into the back and a few elbows to follow. What a bunch of thugs. This is pure intimidation and as long as it is acceptable I will hold the view that it is a second rate sport.

Fair enough, if that makes it a second rate sport to you then thats understandable I suppose, that kind of thing its all part of the game and is hardly an issue. I suppose they should run on and go "Hey there jolly ol' chap, what a spiffing game this is, I should hope I score a point today." Nah, lets stick to a physical game but I am not condoning violence as we saw in the Dublin Tyrone game.

Back