Tyres - 30K+ Miles

L

LouthMan

Audi A4 225/50 and 17'

Looking for the best premium tyres that can hit 30K+ miles and best price ? Based in Dublin, also need the tracking completed on the car.

Thanks

From my understanding, the higher the price, the better the tyre as the rubber compound is denser / stronger... but all depends on the roads, condition of the car, way you drive, type of journey that you do...

Michelin / Bridgestone seem to be a good buy... Place like "fast fit" (use them in Cork & they are great) - might be able to get a deal with the tyres to get the tracking done for free...

Actually the better the tyre is the more rubber the compound has, the more grip it has, the more easily it wears out.

Some of the worst tyres in the world are so "plastic" that they'll probably have the same profile after 50k miles as they had when new. One example of those are Tigar tyres. Alongside this you will get poor grip, poor breaking distance and a lot of noise :)

It hugely depends on your driving style as well, but any decent tyre should be able to go through 30k miles. Having said that, a day at the track can easily burn out the best of the rubber.

German ADAC publishes regular tyre tests, and they also take wear-out into account. I found last year's results, which should give you an idea:
http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/test...R17.aspx?ComponentId=29784&SourcePageId=31821

The last column is the wearout (Verschliess). It's german grades, so lower is actually better. The first five tyres got their recommendation, but as you can see they wear out quite quickly, especially the Continental ContiSportContact 3.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 seems like a great choice. It's also priced somewhere in the middle.

Also, have a look further down the table, all the woeful-performing tyres last forever. :)

I'm driving a B7 A4 and have just hit 22,000km driving on Kumho Ecsta Supras. Looking at the tyre thread today and I'm confident I can get to 30,000km on them...safely. The car performs perfectly in all road conditions.

I have never paid for premium expensive brands. My last tyres were bog standard Federals and got 24,000km out of them, again with no cost to the ride quality.

Btw the Kumhos cost me €90 each in First Stop. 18" wheels.

Pirelli Cinturato P7's are also around 90 euro (88.75 - 92.25 on the quick search on google), as long as you're happy with normal tyres. If you need runflats, then they cost more, but again that's BMW territory. Audi thankfully didn't choose to go down the way of runflat tyres.

If there isn't much difference in price, I'm inclined to go with the experts, and hope that I'll never need those few meters less of breaking distance. In some segments the price difference can be huge, but A4 is hardly premium.

Back