Tyrellstown/Clonee/Ongar

micro

Hi all
My friend and I are FTB, thinking of buying in one of the above areas ( and I know they are all completely different areas! :)) . I was wondering how people were finding the transport links to town and on the Navan road (as my friend works in town, and I work in Ashtown). As neither of us are familar with the areas, does anyone have any opinions good/bad/indifferent on facilities/amenities in the areas... and of course any nasties that all areas inevitably have?!
thanks in advance! :)

These previous threads may be of some help:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=8456&highlight=ongar
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=19762&highlight=clonee

There doesn't seem to be much about Tyrellstown, and I don't know it myself.

Ongar is quite nice, and has shops and facilities built with the development; transport is not so great - minimum 90 minutes to town at peak on the 39 buses; Clonsilla train station is a 30 minute walk from the further parts of Ongar (and if anyone tells you ten, they're either lying or have never walked there and are estimating very optimistically!), and the train can be unpleasantly crowded at peak times, though it's pretty reliable.

Sound insulation isn't brilliant in the development - adequate, at best - so townhouses or semis are a better bet than the apartments. Prices are also coming down at the moment (investor cold feet, I think) so there's some decent value - if there's such a thing in the Dublin property market! - to be had at the moment. But underbid if you decide on there, and hold your nerve as long as you can.

[Nearly sure I shouldn't be saying that since I own a place there... but hey, I'm in it for the long haul!!]

I live in Blanchardstown and work in town! I have no problem living there BUT the commute is HELL! It can take 1hr and 30-40 mins to get to town most mornings and the thing is that you can never tell! Some mornings you just get into town in 40 mins, but its completely inconsistent so you have to give yourself 1hr 30/40 every morning!! ( its quicker when the schools are off, funny that!!!). If you can live with the frustration of that then go for it! I am there 4.5 years now and it only annoys me every now and again! Good Luck!

D

used to live in Ongar, and use the shops in Tyrellstown a bit so may be of some help.

The trains in from Ongar are a nightmare, no parking at the station. And the bus takes over an hour. Also find it gets all the shopping centre traffic at weekends no matter what way you approach it. Lots selling there at the moment. Bit of a problem with car vandalism when I lived there (no connection!) and found it odd that the guards covering the area are Lucan. Haven't been there too much in the last while so can't comment on the shops etc but it is beginning to look a bit dated. I also remember the very very very cold winters which I can only put down to the wooden frame (I find my current brick built house much better). Also a word of caution to anyone buying 3 storey houses - the extra set of stairs is such a pain!

I live closer to town now but rather than use the big supermarkets sometimes I drop in Superquinn in Tyrellstown. Seems to be a better atmosphere than in Ongar just in people walking down streets etc. Never seen anyone at the bus stops whenever I;ve been there so unsure as to whether that means that the bus service is very good or very bad.

Clonee's probably better for more traditional houses - but the traffic would be nuts.

I moved to Blanchardstown village and find the traffic 100% better. I can do 40 minutes (driving) to town and the 38A bus flies up and down the road. Why not try somewhere like Coolmine (station court, windmill etc) or Waterville?

Hi all
My friend and I are FTB, thinking of buying in one of the above areas ( and I know they are all completely different areas! :)) . I was wondering how people were finding the transport links to town and on the Navan road (as my friend works in town, and I work in Ashtown). As neither of us are familar with the areas, does anyone have any opinions good/bad/indifferent on facilities/amenities in the areas... and of course any nasties that all areas inevitably have?!
thanks in advance! :)

I lived in an apartment in Tyrrelstown for a while before moving to Clonee. I did like Tyrrelstown and the shops are nice. The bus service is too infrequent to be of much good on Saturdays anyway, during the week I don't know. You can look up any buses on www.dublinbus.ie.
Clonee is much more estalished type of place and therefore I think it suffers more from lack of transport/schools. All in all I think the bus services around both Clonee/TyrellT/Ongar is a pathetic JOKE and somebody should lose their job over it. Just as well I drive everywhere because I kind of have to. Driving into town I don't know as I work nearby Thank God :)

thanks a million for all your replies. I work in Ashtown so am familar with Blanch village, but have never ventured further up the navan road, so all the info has been really helpful... Im just thinking of how much it will save me on the toll bridge as Im currently commuting from Dundrum! Should be the cost of a reasonable mortgage! thanks again :) if i haev anymore questions i'll be sure to post! cheers

I would recommend station court, windmill or mochta's very convenient to the train station, 5 minute walk max. and there are quite a few 3 bedroom houses for sale in mochta's for approx. 420,000

just thinking train goes from Coolmine to Ashtown which would be very handy, train takes about 10 minutes to get there, quite regular in the morning, very busy but for 10 minutes it's worth it to stand

thanks again for the advice. I'm familar with Moctas.. but sadly its out of my price range! thanks again :)

ongar is probably the best but only really the houses within 2-4 minutes walk of the village. train is far, a good 15-20 minute walk.

Transport all across D.15 is terrible. The trains ok if you can take the tokyo express type of overcrowding, or travel off peak. Personally I find the trains miserable. Frozen on the platform, a sauna on the train etc. I find you catch colds very easily on the train.

You could probably cycle to ashtown, it can't be more than 20-30mins. Or just get a mophead or a cheap old car. Put it perspective of saving 50-100k on a mortgage. Best way of travelling around D.15 is bicycle, motorbike/mophead, car. Just leave very early or very late and you'll miss the traffic.

Or buy a place, rent it out and keep renting where you are.

Clonee/Ongar geographically sit side by side. Ongar is slightly more high density and probably a younger age profile and the new village seems to be well thought out. Clonee (Littlepace area) is lots of houses and not much amenities. I've lived in Clonee for 8 years and commute to Sandyford so maybe we should just swap houses. I know Ashtown well also. Do you have to be in work by 9? A drive that would take 10 minutes at 8pm can take 45 minutes or more at 8am. If you can get near a train station you'd be sorted - 2/3 stops to Ashtown so you could put up with the clamour. Allendale Square or somewhere around there?

Having travelled on those trains, I sympathise with the Tokyo crush (I swapped the Leixlip/Clonsilla crush for the Drogheda crush!). The new Docklands station is scheduled to open in March 2007, and I see that Iarnrod Eireann plan to run trains from Clonsilla into it....which might make commuting a little more human from the general Clonsilla/Clonee area.

Re: Tyrellstown

Move three miles closer to town by buying in finglas.Three or four decent bus routes,all amenities and a twenty minute drive to town.Lots of houses coming up for sale at the moment.

Back