Type of Wood for External Doors

N

Num57

Looking a get external doors for new build, always thought teak and iroko were the best woods to use to avoid warping in external doors. Like the doors from http://www.truewindows.com/ but they specify pine doors as we've stated we want to paint them our own colour choice. Any opnions on pine doors(or anyone bought from this crowd)?

I notice the popularity of treated pine in exterior joinery now-a-days and i cant argue with its beauty.

Buuttttt

Based on 20yrs+ industry experience and based on what i would use in my own home - go for Teak or Mahogony.
Mahogany and Teak are two proven hardwoods and will stand the test of time. Pine ( even treated) is a softwood and has a limited life.

That said timber is a natural product and has to be looked after. A well maintained softwood will outlast a neglected hardwood.

Once the joinery is installed you can paint it any colour to your hearts content. Paint only falls into the catagoryy of a well maintained door and will add to its life.

The thing to watch with external joinery is its ability to with stand weather (irish naturaly) and thats why i recommend Mahog or Teak. Warping is mainly caused by heat( both hot & cold) and humidity and will affect both internal & external joinery irregardless of species.

Incidentally Teak & Iroko ate of th esame family and are considered to be the same species. As are mahogany, Sapele, Meranti etc . Watch out for salesman selling the same thing

Hope th e above is of help

BL65 is pretty spot on with his appraisal of hardwood versus softwood for external joinery. Just to add that many European manufacturer's softwood products are manufactured from laminated softwood stock, using heartwood from slow growing forests in scandinavia- this product when factory treated and maintained will perform well and is sustainable.

I agree.But for conservation reasons I would go for some European timber, unless the supplier has documented sources of FSC timber (don't trust Indonesian FSC sources,all fakes!). There is also Irish oak and mountain ash (not to be mixed up with the softer "hurley stick ash") that would give hardwearing,burglar resistant quality, but these are usually not available ready made. If going for a particular wet area at the house wall then Spanish chestnut timber is recommendable, boats are made from it (Columbus' ship was made from it) and the Dutch build their waterways with it.

Thanks for all the feedback, will be able to go back to supplier better prepared, Cheers.

Back