TWSS - Can a new employee qualify for subsidy

FewEuro

Hi,
My business was closed for 3 months and on return we qualify for TWSS. There is a subsidy available for all the returning staff. However there is some staff who havent come back and therefore new employees are required. Can these new employees qualify for a subsidy or is it only staff that were with me in January/February? Some of the new staff were in employment with someone else before the shutdown, and some weren't. Does anyone know where I stand on this and whether there is any subsidy available for them?

It is difficult to be definitive about this, but in my understanding, the answer is n.

Employees must have been on your payroll in Feb/March. There exceptions for people who were away on maternity leave and apprentice training, but new employees do not qualify.

Thanks for the reply. Its my reading of it too unfortunately.
A bit unfortunate for business that will struggle as they're finding that some staff don't want to return and then have to re-hire losing subsidy that's meant to be there to help them.
One of those missed aspects of this aid for businesses I think.

Looks like you can soon be able to avail the covid scheme for new employees even if they have not worked for you inJanuary and February. Should be announced this week. Also there will be an extension of the scheme to early next year. Just on Rte radio.

Back