Two pin Power Lead with New Camera

Madilla

My daughter got a present of a digital camera which was purchased in X-tra Vision. The difficulty is that it only came witha two pin power supply.I phoned the shop but they cant understand what the problem is with using a two pin plug and say that if thats what is with the camera then thats it. I thought that all electical appliances must be supplied with a three pin plug but the shop said they are not aware of any such requirement.I wonder if someone can guide me to this regulation.

Odd. Not sure about the regulations on such issues but if the power supply is compatible with the Irish [broken link removed] (i.e. ~230V/50Hz) - which it presumably must be but check just in case - then you could always just remove/snip off the 2 pin plug and wire on a 3 pin plug yourself if it comes to it.

Much more simple to get a 2/3 pin adaptor which would be generally available from any electrical supplier.

Or just stick a pen/biro into the top pin while you plug the other two pins into the socket (no idea if this is safe but I remember that we used to do with with some sort of electrical appliance when I was much younger).

Regular charged electric shaver like this. Probably electrician would advise against it and would be interested to hear if it is a dangerous practise.

It is safe assuming that the socket is wired correctly. The top pin is the earth. But it's better not to get into the habit just in case and to either replace the plug or use an adaptor.

From www.citizensinformation.ie

"you are entitled to expect that any electrical item you buy in Ireland comes with a 3-pin plug. If it does not, it may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. Never attempt to place a 2 pin plug in a three pin socket"

Full link: [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Thanks a million for all the replies.The link provides exactly what I was after.I know I could use an adapter but it would be much handier if you didn't need to.I don't think I'll be sticking anything in the socket like a pen or biro.I'll contact the shop again that that I'm properly informed and ask for a refund if they can't provide the correct lead.Only proble is that her bf cant locate the receipt at the moment.

We got a new Sony TV with the same problem. It is illegal to sell them but I think its widespread. The biro trick is ok unless you are plugging it in and out a lot which will damage the 2 pin plug as the spacing is not quite wide enough between the pins and they end up being streched apart a bit. Maybe a fire hazard ...

I bought a laptop in the US and, not surprisingly, the (universal voltage/frequency) PSU came with a moulded on US two pronged plug. I just snipped the moulded on plug off and wired an Irish 3 pin one on instead. No big deal or danger.

I've noticed that a lot of electronic products now come with what looks like a three-pin Irish/UK plug, but the earth pin is actually just a piece of hard plastic that does the job of the biro tip, and only the live and neutral pins are wired.

Shocking! :D

Many devices are not earthed at all so the earth pin is redundant otherwise. Nothing untoward in that.

Back