Two monitors connected to one PC

vjoc

I recently saw two monitors connected to the same PC, with each showing different screens/programs simultaneously. There appeared to be an adapter splitting the AV out port from one into two.

Anybody know how perform such a setup and if you require additional software/hardware, other than another monitor and the AV splitter?

vjoc said:
I recently saw two monitors connected to the same PC, with each showing different screens/programs simultaneously. There appeared to be an adapter splitting the AV out port from one into two.
Are you sure about that? Splitting the video card output would normally display the same image on both. I think what you need is a dual output video card or two separate video cards.
Anybody know how perform such a setup and if you require additional software/hardware, other than another monitor and the AV splitter?
Windows XP has built-in support for dual (multi?) monitors. Other operating systems may nee addidional software/drivers.

Dual output doesn't necessarily mean the card has to have two output head on it.

I've got a Nvidia quadro that allows for dual display but only has one output head from the card. Connected to the card is a further cable (molex) which splits the connection.

Simply put its a
Y-splitter cables for connecting 2 (two) monitors to low-profile PCI/AGP graphic cards.

Does such a setup allow a single large desktop to span two physical monitors as opposed to the same desktop appearing twice - once on each?

There is a USB device that allows you to add a second screen, see the following article on the whole subject of adding a second screen....

[broken link removed]

ClubMan said:
Does such a setup allow a single large desktop to span two physical monitors as opposed to the same desktop appearing twice - once on each?

You can have three setups with it.

(1) Single desktop stretched
(2) Two indepenent displays, items can be stretched to either screen
(3) Same desktop on both screens

Thanks for that Bluetonic. I just haven't experimented with dual/multi-monitoring yet. Must play around with it sometime.

ClubMan said:
Thanks for that Bluetonic. I just haven't experimented with dual/multi-monitoring yet. Must play around with it sometime.

It's excellent, I'd highly reccommend it. To be honest I find it very difficult to use a computer now without the dual aspect.

Back