Two driving licences which one to present for points

chum

i have two driving licences one irish, one US, which one am I legally required to present for points, caught speeding in Dublin.

I'd give the US one. I dont think there is a legal requirement.
After all if you were stopped in the states & you produced your Irish licence I dont think there would be a problem.

Thanks Colm, i have in the past produced irish licence in the states, just don,t want to be pushing it to much and get in bigger trouble.

which one am I legally required to present for points, caught speeding in Dublin

Are you required to present any licence for points at all, sure, you need to present your licence if you are stopped by Gardai, at the time of stopping, is this what you mean ?

give the US licence, as they cannot give points on that one yet... they are still trying to organsie a cross border agreement with uk/north licence's for ages

You don't have to present the licence at all, the points are not endorsed on it. If you have an irish licence then you are on the system and will get the points.

I don't think the OP asked for people to judge them, can people not just answer the question or ignore the topic?

In general, anyone entering Ireland with a US licence is entitled to drive in Ireland for 1 year on it. If they remain in Ireland for more than one year, then they must get an Irish (or in theory any EU) licence. Their US licence is no longer valid for driving in Ireland.

I'm assuming you returned to Ireland after living in the US for a while and doing the test there, and that your residence is now in Ireland. If you returned more than one year ago, then your US licence is no longer valid. If you send the Gardai details of this, they could charge you with driving a vehicle without a valid licence - much more serious than taking 2 points.

IMHO better to accept the two points than risk getting done for a more serious offence.

It is also true if the OP's US license is an IDL (International Driving License) type?

Yes, I believe so. For permanent residents in Ireland (i.e more than 1 year) only EU licences are allowed.