TVs bought in UK

Alfie

Can someone advise me if I buy a television from the UK if it will work okay here.

There is no reason not to. I think for the moment it is best to go with one that has a digital and analogue tuner though.

It may not if you want to use an old-fashioned aerial.

TVs in the UK generally don't have a UHF band. (Or at least the one I brought over didn't. We could only tune it in through the video.

It may not if you want to use an old-fashioned aerial.

TVs in the UK generally don't have a UHF band. (Or at least the one I brought over didn't. We could only tune it in through the video.

That’s the other way around. They have UHF but may not have VHF which Irish cable companies use. I any case TV technology has moved along and I am not to sure what the current new TVs have. Some many not have analogue tuners any more and the word is that our digital system is going to leap frog theirs MPEG-2 system to MPEG-4. If you are using a Sky or NTL digital box, none of this will matter.

Towger

Generally English TVs won't have dual UHF/VHF tuners. This may not be a problem depending on which transmitter you are receiving from. Check out this for details.

Of course, if you're a Sky subscriber, or then you'll be fine.
Leo

Ireland leapfrog anyone in terms of technology ? I thought this might happen when the government rolled out some of their technology plans a few years ago, but then I remembered what country I was in.

We have poor/expensive broadband technology with a relatively small distribution, we have a pathetic excuse for digital radio (if it still exists), we apparently have made no inroads on digital high definition TV. I wouldn;t hold my breath waiting for Ireland to leapfrog anyone. Well, maybe Chile. Maybe.

z

I bought a TV (goodmans) in Uk back in 2004 and brought it over here last year, no problems. Has both tuners. Worked with aerial, and now Sky.