TVR - What type and where?

MAJJ

Hi Folks,

I will be getting some drylining done shortly and I think I will take the opportunity when temporarily removing radiators to attach TVRs or Thermostatic Radiator Valves. My mate will be doing this and I'm doing the research first.

Can anyone recommend a good place in Dublin that stocks TVRs?

I have copper piping I suspect circa 1970 think it's known as gun barrel piping.

What type of valve to use?

I appreciate that it is difficult to discern what type of valve but perhaps someone could suggest a decent and effective TVR with sensors that react quickly?

Thanks,
MAJJ

I assume you refer to TRVs and not the TVR sports car! Anyway I'd recommend the Drayton TRV, manufactured by Invensys. They are a good quality valve and I've purchased them at less than €12 each for a set (the set includes the TRV and a lockshield valve) and this is good value I believe. A similar TRV by Myson could cost €14 for the TRV alone.

Gunbarrel is a mild steel pipe which is joined using threaded connections or welded and sometimes brazed. This pipe is now predominantly used in commercial and public work where resistance to vandalism is a consideration, on account of it's high strength. This material was used in many domestic installations during the 70s and 80s (on account of it's then low cost in comparison to copper) where it earned a bad reputation- gunbarrel must not be buried in concrete or allowed to come in contact with cement based materials as the steel will rapidly corrode. For this reason gunbarrel is nearly always surface mounted; if this is observed gunbarrel gives long service. Gunbarrel should not be confused with copper.

HI Carpenter,

Oh how I'd love to be buying a sports car instead of a valve. Thank you for the recommendation. Could you suggest a supplier?

As for the gunbarrel piping I suspect I'm wrong but will soon find out. Mine looks like copper anyway.

Thanks,
MAJJ

MAJJ
I buy my plumbing gear locally, in the midlands so i can't advise you on where to go but I'm sure any of the plumbers' merchants like Davies, Heatmerchants or Brooks will stock Drayton. Put a magnet to the pipework- if it's magnetic it's steel (gunbarrel).

Carpenter

I was going to try and fit one of these to the bedroom rad - the one there is leaking, so might as well replace it with a TRV and a few other rads while I'm at it. The Drayton looks the ticket for this.

Obviously the system has to be drawined down to fir these - any watch points? Am afriad for instance that I might end up with an air lock in the system, and won't be able to get it going again. And I suppose a good rust inhibitor when filling back up again as well.

I am a raesonably competent DIYer, so have done a very limited amount of plumbing before....any ideas welcome....

Is the price of €12 right? Just checked out this site:

[broken link removed]

are these the same valves?

Is the price of €12 right? Just checked out this site:

[broken link removed]

are these the same valves?

That's the brand alright, but not the actual valve I used which was a Drayton TRV4, much slimmer looking than the one you've located.

Hi Carpenter,

I have looked at the prices and it sounds like you got a great bargain or the todays prices are a ripoff. Any chance you could share with me the name of the place you got yours?

Thanks,
MAJJ

Hi Carpenter,

I have looked at the prices and it sounds like you got a great bargain or the todays prices are a ripoff. Any chance you could share with me the name of the place you got yours?

Thanks,
MAJJ

Damn, I'd posted a detail reply and somehow, inadvertently deleted it! Anyway, here goes, again:
None of the valves featured look quite like the Drayton I have, I suspect the ones featured are intended for the commercial installation thus the high cost- I wouldn't expect to pay more than €15- €17 for any standard TRV anyway. I bought 10 TRVs at about €12 each over a year ago at Donoghues Plumbing Centre, Bridge Street, Portlaoise. Danny Donoghue is the proprietor- I find him competetive and very helpful in terms of practical advice, most of the plumbers around here shop there. The valve I bought (and most coming from European factories will be the same) has 15mm connections- you'll need to substitute 1/2" olives for use with Irish sized pipe.

Hi Carpenter,

I hate when that happens. Thanks for taking the time twice, doubly so in the case of your last post. I will look into my options as I am armed with lots of advice from you.

Thanks,
MAJJ