TV3 Newsreport: Cork Taxi "Union" does not allow Non National Taxi Drivers.

thedaras

Ive just watched the news and on it they showed a taxi driver saying he was a non national and that he had asked two years ago to join the union,and was told he couldnt ,his friend then asked again two weeks ago and was told he couldnt join!!

He said if you dont believe me you can ask the man himself who was there.

The interviewer did just that and the union guy, said non nationals cannot join the union!! The interviewer asked ,if that could possibly be legal and the union man said,it depends how its interpreted..

I feel sick to the stomach.....does anyone know if this could possibly be true??

Re: Non National Taxi Drivers

Foreign nationals have exactly the same employment rights as Irish workers which I'm sure must include the right to join a union. Did the union guy give any reason for this crazy decision. If they're affiliated to an umbrella union, I find it hard to believe they could make a unilateral and racist decision like this.

Wow that is not only outrages that makes me not use cabs that have a NTDU sticker on them.

And I thought of checking their requirements out on their web but funny:

The following site is unavailable due to routine maintenance:

On the day they strike they have routine maintenance going on, what not a union shop?

Foreign nationals have exactly the same employment rights as Irish workers which I'm sure must include the right to join a union. Did the union guy give any reason for this crazy decision. If they're affiliated to an umbrella union, I find it hard to believe they could make a unilateral and racist decision like this.

As far as I recall he didnt give any reason.
The group shown on tv3 were from cork.
Its appalling.
Im not a union person at all,but feel everyone should have the right to join a union should they choose to do so..whatever time I did have for the unions is now absolutly gone.
I really am sickened by this.

If you go to the Tv3 website ,www.tv3.ie click on taxi drivers begin 24 hr strike.they have the video of the guy saying it.Ive no sound on my computer at the moment ,so have a listen and see what you think/

Last edited:

HI, I noticed in the background of this video, that there was a sign with
www.union.ie,, dont know if this makes any difference to the situation though.The below is a paragraph of their charter

The Rules of the Union provide, among its objectives a positive founding principle that the Union will “promote the primacy of members own decision making in all matters covered by the Rules of the Union, and in the development of its policies”.
In addition, the Rules set out an outline of a number of positive rights of benefit members, as follows: “every member shall have the right to equal treatment and opportunity within the Union without discrimination on grounds of gender, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, occupation, age, citizenship, race, language or religious and political beliefs and shall have the following rights as members, that is to say:

Last edited:

If you go to the Tv3 website ,www.tv3.ie click on taxi drivers begin 24 hr strike.they have the video of the guy saying it.Ive no sound on my computer at the moment ,so have a listen and see what you think/

Just watched your link. Wow!!!!!!

On a lighter note, doesn't the spokesman being interviewed look very like Alvin Stardust? :D

Just watched your link. Wow!!!!!!

On a lighter note, doesn't the spokesman being interviewed look very like Alvin Stardust? :D

He does!!! I couldnt put my finger on who he looked like ,but your right he really does look like him :D

We can only take in local Cork Men.....

What the frack! In a country where you are still a blowin after living 20 years in an estate you were not born in this is quite possible but were is the common sense.

Non Nationals work as hard as the local cork men, they provide the same service like local cork men so why should they not have the right to be in the same union as local cork men.

Quite possibly they also don't allow local Cork femals to join!

TV3 should have asked harder questions, this is rasim!

We can only take in local Cork Men.....

What the frack! In a country where you are still a blowin after living 20 years in an estate you were not born in this is quite possible but were is the common sense.

Non Nationals work as hard as the local cork men, they provide the same service like local cork men so why should they not have the right to be in the same union as local cork men.

Quite possibly they also don't allow local Cork femals to join!

TV3 should have asked harder questions, this is rasim!
Couldnt agree with you more...
Any ideas what to do about it?

I hope AAM members get to look at your TV3 link tonight as it will probably have changed by tomorrow. :(

I hope AAM members get to look at your TV3 link tonight as it will probably have changed by tomorrow. :(

I just watched it.
I think it's grossly unfair for the spokesman to come on national TV is disguise... oh, and blatant racism is no surprise from organisations whose sole purpose is to protect its members to the detriment of the general public.
Unions exist to exclude those who have not and protect those that have.

That is the funniest and scariest thing I have seen in a while.Shame on them.

I just watched it.
I think it's grossly unfair for the spokesman to come on national TV is disguise... oh, and blatant racism is no surprise from organisations whose sole purpose is to protect its members to the detriment of the general public.
Unions exist to exclude those who have not and protect those that have.

Very funny....they do live in a parallel universe :D

Back