TV show Room to improve - budgets realistic?

babydays

Have watched two episodes of Room to Improve where an architect radically changes a ground floor of a house to maximise light and space etc.

The two shows I saw had a buget of, I think, E50K and E65 (around abouts). For that amount they seemed to do A LOT - demolish and rebuild extension, complete high spec refit, insulation, walls down, walls up etc etc.

Are these amounts reaslistic - or is it 'cos it;s on a TV show? If I go to an architect is it likely I'd be able to get so much done for such a tidy amount (also in such a short time)?

Hi babydays, I saw this show and was wondering the same. I assume they dont have to pay the architects fee as they are appearing in the programme. Maybe its a bit like the weddings by Franc show where he gets things at a premium rate.......

Just to add, these are repeats, those works were carried out early 2007 at the peak of prices. Presume architects fees were free to customer, as part of fee for appearing on show.

Secman

So, aren't architects fees roughly 10% of the build - so another 10% added on in everyday life. Yeh Deedee80 I suppose he gets things at a premium rate.

I know a person who did this show, and according to them, they pretty much got the very best of everything at cost or less (materials) and the labour was very keenly priced as well. They reckon the work they has done could have possibly cost an extra 15/20/25 % or more. And that is also considering the prices were Feb/Mar 2007.

The budget on the ahow last week (in Dalkey) I think was c.E50k. But by the time it was finished...fancy kitchen, decking, etc etc the total bill was E128k.....!