TV setting for UPC digital +HD

S

Suavio56

Hi there -

I ordered a HD package with UPC recently and I want to make sure I am getting the best pic possible from my TV. Firstly, I have a Phillips HD ready TV - do I need to change any of the settings on the TV to improve the pic. Also, there was a HDMI cable with the box when it arrived - is there any point in investing in a more expensive cable e.g. Monster? Would appreciate any help?
Finally, is there a big difference in quality between a HD ready and a full HD TV?

Cheers!

.. is there any point in investing in a more expensive cable e.g. Monster? ..

I was convinced (some may say suckered ) into buying a Monster HDMI cable in DID Electric. They had a Blue Ray player connected to 2 identical TVs; one via 'standard' HDMI and the other via a Monster cable.

The difference I saw convinced me to shell out a few more €€€ on the more expensive option.

Also .. AFAIK HD ready is 720p while full HD is 1080p - 1080p has greater picture clarity than 720p

Also, there was a HDMI cable with the box when it arrived - is there any point in investing in a more expensive cable e.g. Monster?

No, it's a digital signal, there will be no difference. The HDMI standard was designed to eliminate the need for expensive interconnects. Cheap cables will run into issues over longer lengths, but will do the job over standard lengths.
Leo

Gents,

thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. A slingbox will be the next purchase to hook upto my iphone. Hopefully that will work well.

I think the difference you saw was probably simulated! If you swapped HDMI cables you'd probably see the bad picture through the monster cable.

Old salesman trick of adjusting the settings on one TV to optimise the picture to the source and doing the opposite on the other.