tv screen size

C

car

have a 32" sony. Didnt notice before but lately the screen is getting cropped from the sides, maybe it was like that all the time. If theres text going across it like
"this film name" all i see is
"his film nam"
Ive tried changing the screen size (wide:zoom: etc..) but no joy. Is it the way a program is broadcast?

Is your TV a widescreen tv? Can you give a few examples of specific stations/shows where the text is cropped?

It is a wide screen. I'll get a specific program next time i see it happening and post back.

Re: ..

Bit obvious I suppose - but if you've Sky you need to set the aspect ratio to 16:9 via picture settings, make sure to select save these settings. NTL&Chorus digital would have something similar. On the other hand I once saw this happening on a TV of mine, the tube went completely shortly afterwards.

WMJ, while we're on the topic. I have ntl digital and have that 16:9 setting and am sick of saving it. I get about a minute before the screen jumps back to oversize so Im missing a bit of it. Ive just stopped changing it now. any ideas?

That problem is different to the one I originally posted as the missing bits from the side are occuring when Im watching terrestial tv.

Ive tried changing the screen size (wide:zoom: etc..) but no joy. Is it the way a program is broadcast?
My guess is that they're filming in widescreen. They're probably broadcasting in digital and analog, but the picture is being cropped in the analog broadcast. If you're subscribed to an analog package you get the cropped picture. Changing the aspect ratio won't make any difference. I have the same problem myself...

car, afraid I don't know how you can make save the 16:9 setting on NTL. Just said it for Sky because it's easy to miss the save step.
Now that rory mentions it, I do remember seeing "who wants to be a millionaire" on analog where the few lines of the C and D answers were missing at the bottom of the screen. Also saw some BBC sports quiz where the team scores couldn't be fully seen. I'd guess this kind of cropping shouldn't happen with the Irish channels though.

have a 32" sony. Didnt notice before but lately the screen is getting cropped from the sides,

I've experienced the same problem sometimes on my Sony 32" widescreen TV using NTL Digital.

Switching between 4:3 and 16:9 on the NTL / Pace decoder (press Menu on the remote and then the option is under Display or Setup - can't remember which) sometimes works to stop this.

You could also try changing the "Auto-format correction" options on your TV - you will probably find you can change it per auxiliary input (AV1 etc.) - I use "Normal" instead of "Full" as Full auto format correction means the image keeps resizing during ad breaks as the format changes.

Finally, try taking out the SCART and reconnecting it!

Back