TV Reception in Cavan

tosullivan

does anyone know what I could expect to receive on a TV up near Bailieborough in Cavan through an aerial?

I expect I'll get the Irish channels, but does anyone think its possible to pick up any of the English channels through an aerial or some sort of freeview receiver?

I drove down from the North the other day and I was able to pick up the English Radio BBC channels in southern Cavan, so maybe the signals are strong enough to go that far south.

I was in Flemmings of Monaghan last year and they were selling digital free view boxes, there must be a market for them. The bst thing woukd be to call into a local electrical retailer etc or look for a local tv guy. I would imagine u would be able to get terrestrial uk tv there unless u are in a valley or some such. Digital tv, freeview would be a better option giving more choice and I do know of somebody in Cavan thet gets it, just don't know their exact location.

cheers pat, I'll ask one of the neighbours what they use as its in a valley with a few hills around

Everyone I know in Co. Cavan is able to pick up BBC1 & 2, UTV and C4 with a conventional aerial.

The UK channels are broadcast from Enniskillen and you should have no problem. You may require a masthead amplifier and the correct-band aerial but it will not be a problem. Installed aerial should cost in the region of e200 (for Irish and UK stations)

I live in Kingscourt (8 miles away) and with a larger aerial (nothing special) you can pick up all the UK channels (except Channel5). I also live in a valley with several hills around and the reception is still fine.