TV over fireplace - does it damage the TV?

pudzer

Hi

We are currently planning our electrical layout on our newbuild.
I have seen photos of flatscreen televisions over fireplaces i.e.on the chimney breast, and had hoped to put ours there also.

However, my electrician suggested that the chimney breast wasn't the best place for it as the heat could harm the telly.

Anyone got any experience or knowledge in this regard?

Thanks
Pudzer

I have my plasma there for 4 years now and have had no issues to date.
It is a gas fire, not coal.

Do a search for existing threads on this issue (plasma/LCD/other TVs over fireplace).

I'd try and not put it up to high. I'd be worried about damaging my neck constantly lookung upwards at the TV.

Instead of sending Pudzer a PM why not tell us all that's what the forum is all about.
The reason I sent a PM was because the information I had for Pudzer was on a link to another forum which I didn't think was appropriate to be advertising on our forum. My apologies to all, maybe it was a little unthoughtful, but I really did not want to plagiarize it. Pat..

You can post such links as long as they are not simply spam and you declare any interest.

I'd try and not put it up to high. I'd be worried about damaging my neck constantly lookung upwards at the TV.

I'd go with that advice. I used to do VDU workstation assessments in work and the advice was to imagine a horizontal line a third of the way down the screen. Your eyes should be level with that. Higher or lower is likely to result in neck strain.