Tv listening for hard of hearing

Delta

Has anyone any experience of buying any type of tv amplifiers for a relative who is very hard of hearing. They cannot hear tv and have to wait for programmes with subtitles.
I checked some websites they all seem to be American and you can get a TV Loop thingy and also ear phones things that can pick up sound when in the same room as tv.
As you can see I am not very technological but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has gone down this road.

No experience to offer, I'm afraid, but DeafHear (formally The Nat. Assoc. for the Deaf) are very knowledgeable about such technology...

I found this on their website... [broken link removed]

Suggest getting in touch with them....

Darth....

Hi Darthvader, had looked at some Irish websites earlier but could not get any info. Seemed to have some info on hearing aids, but this relative already has a hearing aid, and needs more aid for telly. Will look at your website again.

Hi Delta, I got a Sennheisser Neckloop for my mom to use. She already uses two hearing aids. The below link must be the new version - it was about €300 if I remember correctly. I do know that the hearing aid needs to use a TSwitch to work.
()
Do have a good look at the bioacoustics site though as they have a section on TV. They're nothing to do with me but I did find the info much more helpful that anything I could find in Ireland.

Hi again, Delta....

If you take a look at the link, you'll see that it's the Tech. page dealing with listening to TV and Radio not hearing aids...

Hope it helps....

Darth...

Hi Delta

My dad who is 82 is not deaf but finds it very difficult to hear the normal dialog on tv. He does hear better on a one to one but nowadays finds it more difficult to communicate. He bought wireless ear phones for the tv (approx €45) and can now happily escape into his own world watching his favorite programmes. The only promlem is you'll have to have a seperate tv for him. Hope this helps.

No experience to offer, I'm afraid, but DeafHear (formally The Nat. Assoc. for the Deaf) are very knowledgeable about such technology...

I found this on their website... [broken link removed]

Suggest getting in touch with them....

Darth....

I second this recommendation. While other technologies are available the loop system is probably the best option for your situation. Given that the person already has a hearing aid once the loop system is installed (it can be installed in relevent rooms or throughout the house) then it will work like this. Check your relatives hearing aid. There should be 'T" switch on it.(three letters O,T,M) if you switch to the T your relative it will pick up the loop system. This will work in many public buildings/ cinema/theatre where the below symbol is displayed.

Also check out these people who will be able to give you advice on the different options.
NAHB's National Disability Resource Centre, 44 North Great George's Street

This is a good suggestion. Depending on your relatives loss of hearing it may be viable you can always try with a regular pair of earphones before investing in some wireless ones.

I bought the radio headphones from my local electrical store on the understanding that if they didn't work out that I could return them. Fortunately they did the job.

All that info is great. Thanks guys, have been on to my relative and will now start investigating. Hopefully it will help her have a better quality of life.

Hi all, a quick question. My mum is very deaf and is shortly buying a new tv. She has a set of headphones but wont wear them as she says they are too uncomfortable. I was in a shop today looking at the various tvs on offer and the salesman suggested buying a cinema surround sound package he reckoned it would help.

Apologies for hijacking this thread.

Any opinions greatly appreciated. Tx.

Last edited: