TV Licence Query

tosullivan

Can anyone tell me if you have a TV but cannot receive RTE1 or RTE2, do you have to pay the license fee?

Re: TV License Query

I'm afraid you do...

Once you've got a TV, the licence fee applies!...

Darth...

But isn't the license fee payable to RTE? I can't receive it where the house is and I don't even try to receive it. I just have a dish with the Free channels

Yes - the licence has nothing got to do with the channels you can see or want to see. The licence is for the receiving equipment.

And even if you don't actually receive a transmission, you must have a licence - the wording (if I remember correctly) is if you have equipment capable of receiving TV transmisssions.....isn't that where the grey area re TV licences & mobile phones or PCs arises?

Only good news is that you can pay by direct debit and it works out at around € 13 per month.

There is no point in challenging the tv licence .............you won't win .

so its for receiving ANY TV transmissions? even if none of them are RTE?

And even if you don't actually receive a transmission, you must have a licence - the wording (if I remember correctly) is if you have equipment capable of receiving TV transmisssions.....isn't that where the grey area re TV licences & mobile phones or PCs arises?
If you don't recieve transmission and you have a tv you don't need a licence. If what you were saying was true you would be paying for a licence even if you didn't have a tv.

If you can recieve a transmission of some kind, any kind, and have a tv, you have to have a license, even if its only with a coat hanger stuck into the tv aerial. If you don't have a tv, you are not capable of recieving a transmission. Simple.
The coat hanger doesn't work everywhere, they need proof that you can recieve a signal before they can tell you to get a licence.

Its so frustrating paying a TV licence to find RTE even if you dont watch the C**p they show everyday!

If you don't recieve transmission and you have a tv you don't need a licence. If what you were saying was true you would be paying for a licence even if you didn't have a tv.

That's incorrect. The legislation specifies equipment capable of receiving a signal. It does not at any point mention RTE.
Leo

That's incorrect. The legislation specifies equipment capable of receiving a signal. It does not at any point mention RTE.
Leo
Why then did they add RTE to sky digital when people were refusing to pay their TV licence because they weren't recieving RTE?

They really don't! Try it and find out whether that works as an argument...I can assure you it doesn't.
They are more than welcome to see if they can get an RTE reception with a coat hanger where I live.

If the equipment is capable of showing a TV broadcast from anywhere, then you require a TV license. Whether or not you actually use it for this purpose or whether or not you have an aerial, cable or satellite attached makes no difference.

Back