TV aerials required to get 4 Irish an 4 english tv stations stations

B

ballybrone

Hi I have just moved into a new house in Galway, out the country between Galway city and Tuam . What is am wondering is what type of tv aerial or aerials would i need to install to receive RTE1,RTE2,TV3,TG4,BBC1,BBC2,UTV and C4 .Is there one type of aerial which would be able to receive all 8 channels or would I need a combination of aerials to get all 8 channels.Anybody any experience on this .

I don't know if you will be able to receive the English channels so far west from just an aerial. Are you aware of others in the area that can receive the channels from just an aerial?

Is there a community deflector/relay system in operation in your area (or do these still operate?)? That might be a better bet than trying to receive direct broadcasts if that's even possible so far from the nearest UK broadcast site (NI?). What do your neighbours do?

I'm about 40 miles east of you, I reckon, and everyone here has gets the bigger aerials to get the UK (and Irish) stations. Reception varies but can be usually tweaked to be satisfactory. I'd look at neighbours roofs and if they have the big aerials go to a local electrical shop and ask.

The cost about €200-€250 to buy and have installed.

Rebecca

There's a few deflector systems in operation in Galway I believe, Loughrea and Athenry certainly recieve BBC1, BBC2, UTV and C4 this way. As far as I'm aware so does Tuam.

It needs its own aerial in addition to the standard RTE aerial. A TV shop in Tuam should be able to give more info.

BBC 1 2 ITV and Ch 4 are available in the Westport area. There is a deflector or receiver/broadcaster nearby. Good bye chorus/sky

Question for anyone. Do Sky/Chorus/NTL pay the likes of BBC and others to broadcast their feeds.

We had a great system in the Mid West years ago with a local TV shop selling "BBC aerials" for 35 quid and then deflecting the signal in Keeper Hill until the govt gave Westward cable the right to broadcast a similar service at a huge price.