Tuscany, Italy - where to stay?

Vazelothir

Folks,
any suggestions where to stay in Tuscany?

Would anyone recommend either Siena or Firenze (florence)?

I'm staying 2 nights in Pisa, mostly due to the arrival time of the ryanair flight, but I'm hoping to drive somewhere and stay for a few days..

suggestions welcomed

Spend as little time as possible in Pisa.Siena IMO is nicer than Firenze as less crowds.Firenze always jammed.

To some extent, it depends what you like.

Personally, I would recommend finding a place somewhere in the triangle bounded by Florence, Siena and St. Gimignano. Then you will be within easy drive of each (as well as lots of other interesting places). I also always try to find a place in a small town or village, so you can walk there in the evenings.
(I am talking about villa rental here - if you want to stay in hotels, your requirements may be different).

Agree with JohnnyBoy. Firenza far too crowded. Loads of loud American students also.
Now Siena is the business. Relaxed and friendly. ( But don't get the locals started about the cursed euro and how it dragged them down )
Stayed in a casa 15 kms outside Siena. Try and get a pool where you stay.
You will definitely need a car though and watch out for the locals who don't use indicators!

Montepulciano was my favourite. Less touristy than San Gimignano.

Agreed on Montepulciano - definitely lovely ... Volterra was gorgeous too (though up on top of one hell of a hill - try to get a hotel up in the town) ... Montalcino & Cortona are very pretty too... as I'm sure are most other small towns in Tuscany ... San Gimignano is very touristy for sure ... but with good reason it really is beautiful.

I've been to Tuscany doing it both on buses/trains and at other times with a rental car. You certainly don't need a car for Florence/Siena (indeed a car would be a hinderance in these places - if you just want to do pisa, florence and siena i wouldn't bother with a car) ... but you really will benefit from having your own transport if you want to get out in the countryside and get to see some of the above mentioned hill towns.

I didn't find the Italian drivers too terrible but the roads are not great ... I found the signage can be very confusing in some places and once off the motorways the rural roads can be quite narrow and twisty... some of the older motorways are quite narrow and with very short slip roads too - with heavy traffic you need your wits about you !

thanks for the info folks, definately leaning in the direction of staying outside San Gimignano and Siena...

cheers

I should have added - I found this site pretty useful for villa rentals.
I always cross-check any places I'm interested in via Google - often get more information, photos etc.

Back