Tuscany in May

sallyann

My mother and her sister, both in their late sixties would like to visit Tuscany in May. A friend who visited said the weather can be very hot even in May and as my mother has a heart condition I would be concerned that this may affect her health. Can anyone who has been there gave me some information about the weather conditions in May?

Many thanks

The summers in Tuscany are generally warmer than here but not oppressively so, especially in May when it's just coming out of Spring.

Like here, there's always the chance of some really hot days but in general it should be reasonably comfortable unless you have a particular aversion to heat.

It's certainly not like southern Italy, particularly Sicily which can be oppressive.

May is one of the best times to visit Tuscany, although nights can sometimes be a little chilly and it can also be showery. The countryside is not as brown as it is in August, and it looks more appealing generally. As a bonus, you miss the worst of the crowds which are a real problem in the hill towns in summertime.
If they have a day that they find a bit hot, visit somewhere like Sienna which is cool and shady on even the hottest days.

I was there last May/early June and it definitly wasnt too hot, it was actually quite cool some days and we had some rain also.

Back